Ext:Desktop!!! Brilliant!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RE: Ext:Desktop!!! Brilliant!

Very nice. The only concern I have is performance and coding best practice. It seems like we will end up with a very large and hard to maintain Desktop.aspx page. I love how with pure ExtJS, we can create controls on the fly but with ASP.NET, all the controls on the page must be created on initial load. For example, my desktop can have 50 windows. I really don't want to cram all that into one page. The markup and code behind will be crazy! Not to mention performance. I *could* put alot of things into usercontrols (one usercontrol per window), but all those windows still have to be created on initial load.

jchau (12/8/2008) Very nice. The only concern I have is performance and coding best practice. It seems like we will end up with a very large and hard to maintain Desktop.aspx page. I love how with pure ExtJS, we can create controls on the fly but with ASP.NET, all the controls on the page must be created on initial load. For example, my desktop can have 50 windows. I really don't want to cram all that into one page. The markup and code behind will be crazy! Not to mention performance. I *could* put alot of things into usercontrols (one usercontrol per window), but all those windows still have to be created on initial load.
    I would expect that best practice would be to wire your shortcut icons on the desktop to initiate their own new window, upon click, to load an internal or external user control, and not handle all of this on page load.

Cheers,
    Timothy

Timothy (12/8/2008)
    I would expect that best practice would be to wire your shortcut icons on the desktop to initiate their own new window, upon click, to load an internal or external user control, and not handle all of this on page load.

Cheers,
    Timothy
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean to add an user control to the page on shortcut icon's click AjaxEvent? I didn't know we can dynamically add usercontrols during AjaxEvent.

jchau (12/8/2008)
    Timothy (12/8/2008)

Cheers,
    Timothy
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean to add an user control to the page on shortcut icon's click AjaxEvent? I didn't know we can dynamically add usercontrols during AjaxEvent.
    You can handle it a variety of ways, probably the best solution would be to handle it through JavaScript but an AjaxEvent can also handle it; on click of the shortcut you can add a new window which calls a user control through the AutoLoad ;)

Cheers,
    Timothy

is the desktop start menu a requirement when using the ext:desktop? and what is the difference between the desktopwindow and an ordinary window?

We're working on some advanced .AutoLoad samples which should help with dynamically loading Panels via Ajax.*

The examples are still a few days away from being completed.*

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

@joju - The <ext:DesktopWindow> inherits directly from <ext:Window>, but adds a property to associate it to the Desktop and Desktop Manager.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

in a post that i saw earlier which is dated late last month, it is still not possible to dynamically create a window on ajaxevent and show it immediately, the solution is to create the window on page load then show in on the ajax event... it is still the same case until today? im trying to add a new window on ajaxevent but it is not getting showed

protected void extdvPublish_DblClick(object sender, AjaxEventArgs e)
            {
                Window extwin = new Window();
                extwin.Width = Unit.Pixel(640);
                extwin.Height = Unit.Pixel(480);
                extwin.Title = e.ExtraParams["title"].ToString();
                extwin.Html = "Hello";
                extwin.ID = "extwin" + e.ExtraParams["id"].ToString();
                this.Parent.FindControl("form1").Controls.Add(extwin);
            }
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12