Coolite 1.0 Release date

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coolite 1.0 Release date

Hi,

Please let us know the 1.0 release date. Here are the problems we are having with constant SVN updates.

1. When ever we took new update from SVN, we had several UI issues. We had fixed everything.
    2. Recently we took latest version which had updated extJs 3.3.3. This caused a major mess in terms if UI and functionality.

When we started building our product , we have choosen coolite controls because you guys used to display as "1.0 will be available in 2010 Q1" on your web site. Now your release is indefinitely postponed and we getting pressure from senior management.

Please, please understand my frustration and provide me some response on release date. I don't think you will be building a product without release date. This is really forcing me to choose other products for future projects.

Thanks
    Hari
    First off, you guys (Geoffrey and Vladimir) are doing an awesome job with cranking out fixes and responding to forum threads. It's apparent how hard you guys are working to polish v1.0. I dont think everyone understands that Ext.net is dependent on Sencha's ExtJS javascript library. Alot of bugs in v1.0 are due to changes in ExtJS. Geoffrey and Vladimir are probably more frustrated than us with breaking changes from ExtJS.

However, I also see where the OP is coming from. With our last application release in April, we held off upgrading to v1.0 and used v0.82 which was pretty stable. Since the release, we have internally upgraded to v1.0 and gotten constant SVN updates. Problem is that on each SVN update, our QA team moral drops a little as they find more obscure bugs in sections of the application that have been well tested and didn't change (besides Ext.net upgrade) since our last release. It worries them what else can be broken. It is not feasible for them to retest the entire application on every SVN update. Then there's also pressure from upper management as our next release deadline in August approaches. Currently, I skim the changes on every SVN update and tell QA to target pages that use the components that were affected.

A release date doesn't really hold much meaning. It's not like Ext.net will release an unstable v1.0 just because the release date arrived. What's more important to us is knowing how stable the toolkit is at this point. Is development still working on new components or has the focus shifted to bug fixing? Should we expect more big changes on the way?
    Agreed. We need to have release to communicate to senior management as well.

Coolite Team,
    Thank you very much for all good work. Can you please provide your responses for below questions.

1. Is 1.0 development frozen
    2. what is the tentative release date? Atleast tell us in terms months. July or aug or sept? or 2011? etc. You can not say " you don't have planned release date".

Thanks
    Hari
    Hello Guys,
    I had a similar issue, but was asked to keep my revision at #2850 which was very stable and at 3.2.

IMHO, We can wait until we have a final nod for 3.3 updated and working. Why do you have to update regularly from SVN. Why not just wait for a stable working v 1.0 and until then use revision #2850?

Thanks,

Amit Pareek
    Quote Originally Posted by amitpareek View Post
    Why do you have to update regularly from SVN.
    Well, there could be multiple reasons for that, the most common being, that you report a bug, The Ext.Net team irons it out within hours (sometimes within minutes), posts an update, asking you to update from SVN. So, do you really have a choce then?
    Quote Originally Posted by r_honey View Post
    Well, there could be multiple reasons for that, the most common being, that you report a bug, The Ext.Net team irons it out within hours (sometimes within minutes), posts an update, asking you to update from SVN. So, do you really have a choce then?
    And that SVN update contains another bug that you find and report...and the vicious cycle begins....
    Yes you guys are right... but I have been on 2850 for sometime now and its been pretty stable. We have delivered a beta product to our client and no reports of breaking UI or functionality anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by r_honey View Post
    I overlooked your name Rahul!... I dont wake up so early you see :)... We have been on 2850 for sometime now... Did you find any issues?
    Well.. AFAIK most of the bugs we had after SVN-Updates were ExtJS and not Ext.NET bugs.

Maybe it would be the best to make cut after the Ext.NET upgrade to ExtJS 3.3 and do no further ExtJS upgrades until the Ext.NET 1.0 is released.

Or even better... Forget the 1.0 Versioning and use the same Version numbers as ExtJS.
    That would mean to release Ext.NET 3.3 soon instead of Ext.NET 1.0.

I am 100% sure that the guys here are doing a suberb job. The Ext.NET Controls are the best Ajax-WebControls for .NET I ever have seen and the support is perfect. But the thing is that there must be a kind of deadline and after this deadline the concentration should be on fixing bugs and not adding new features. A software is never finished. That´s the usual devils cycle.

Just my 2 Cents ;-)

Bye,
    Martin
    The only reason we take update from SVN is to fix defects. We take svn update only if EXT.NET tell us to get to resolve the reported defect. Our QA team will find several defects elsewhere in the application because of new update from SVN.

Thanks
    Hari
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast