[1.0] Revoke deprecation of MultiField

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

RE: [1.0] Revoke deprecation of MultiField

Hi,

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-weight: inherit; font-size: 12px; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); ">I had 2 buttons inside a MultiField (with no Field). MultiField accepted them perfectly, but CompositeField is throwing errors.
    The solution was simply to move them to a Panel from MultiField.
    CompositeField 'items' collection contains fields only. If you need original items (which were passed with config object) then you need to use
    compositeField.innerCt.items

r_honey (5/4/2010)Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply, but I think I found the issue. Guess what!!

I had 2 buttons inside a MultiField (with no Field). MultiField accepted them perfectly, but CompositeField is throwing errors.
    The solution was simply to move them to a Panel from MultiField.
    We're testing the two Buttons in a CompositeField scenario right now. If we can reproduce the error, we should be able to fix immediately.

AND GUESS WHAT guys!!!
    MultiField has been just removed from server-side controls. I have lots of User Interfaces generated in pure javascript, which use "netmultifield" (xtype for MultiField), and they still work fine!!!
    It appears MultiField.js was still being included in extnet-core.js. We'll leave for now, but we will have to remove at some point before the v1.0 RC1 release.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

We're looking at a couple of revisions which should fix the "two button" scenario and the .items collection not returning all child components.

We just need a bit of time to figure out the best approach.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Sure Geoff, I was getting errors for this scenario, and was preparing a test case. That means I can leave out the test case now.

Well, attached is a test case. Notice that we get the javascript error only when CompositeField is inside a Container having form layout.

The independent CompositeField renders fine. However, the one inside the Panel with Form Layout generated js errors while rendering. Removing the form layout makes it render fine.

r_honey (5/4/2010)Well, attached is a test case. Notice that we get the javascript error only when CompositeField is inside a Container having form layout.

The independent CompositeField renders fine. However, the one inside the Panel with Form Layout generated js errors while rendering. Removing the form layout makes it render fine.
    We have reproduced the problem and a fix will be available posthaste.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hi Rahul,

OK, we've committed some revisions to the CompositeField.js. Hopefully things should be working better for you now.

The scenario with two Buttons (no Fields) in the CompositeField is working.

The .items collection now contains all Components, not just Field types.

Hope this helps.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

I updated the code from the SVN some hours ago. And yes, the buttons scenario was taken care of.

However, there are still differences left beetwen CompositeField &amp; MultiField that I had to resolve out.

e.g. I earlier had MultiFields in a FormPanel as SharedComponent inside RowExapnder plugin for a GridPanel that was inside a window.
    After switching to CompositeFields, I had a js error in the code that executed in the BeforeExpand listener for the RowExpander. This code worked perfectly before.

Similarly, I still have to manually call doLayout() on the CompositeFields all over when a nested field visibility changes.

There have a some more (small) nuisances here &amp; there, and I think I have figured out the solutions for all of those. The only thing troubling me is that I had to suspend my existing development &amp; reschedule my timelines for patching code all over after a Global migration to CompositeField.

Probably, an Obsolete warning with phasing out of Multifield down the line would have helped better in maintaining my schedule.

Anyways, I appreciate both of you for responding to my requests and updating SVN in a quick time!!!

Similarly, I still have to manually call doLayout() on the CompositeFields all over when a nested field visibility changes.
    If you let us know which scenarios requires calling .doLayout we might be able to include the proper fix to avoid having to call manually.

As always, code samples will help.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

The attached file should provide one example. There could be many more such pieces.

Having managed these things, I now believe it would be better for CompositeField NOT to layout automatically when a child field visibility changes.

For achieving this, you must be attaching listeners to all child fields' show/hide events, and firing doLayout() in each listener.
    This would be a waste of CPU cycles, as in my case, I am showing/hiding multiple child fields and calling doLayout once manually after all fields ' visibilities have been set might be a better option.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast