[1.0] Just for fun... MacOS and Mono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[1.0] Just for fun... MacOS and Mono

Hey guys.

Just in my spare time and for kicks, I'm trying to get Ext.Net to run on MacOS with Mono. I know you guys aren't supporting this, but you might be able to help.

When I compile Ext.Net from the SVN project, everything seems to work fine until it gets into the JsonConverters. It seems I have to actually recompile the .dlls because Mono won't "use" the .dll that is already included with the project itself.

So, I went out and downloaded the lastest version of NewtonSoft.Json and included the project to the Ext solution. This seemed to solve about 90% of the issues. However, when I try to compile, it seems that the NewtsonSoft Abstract classes might have changed a bit, as several classes compile with "JsonRead" not implemented from abstract class error.

Basically, what version of the NewtonSoft.Json project is being using in 1.0 (or the lastest build)? If I can match the version, I might be able to successfully compile the lastest version of Ext with Mono.

Granted, I'm not spending a heck of a lot of time with this, as it's basically to see if "it can be done."

Thanks.

RE: [1.0] Just for fun... MacOS and Mono

which version of mono ?

Hi,

I am also planning to try Mono+Ext.NET on my Mac "just for fun".
    So I would be happy if you could leave any comments about how you´ve solved it.

Bye,
    Martin

Hi,

what
    version of the NewtonSoft.Json project is being using in 1.0 (or the
    lastest build)?

Please see the following SVN url
    http://svn.ext.net/premium/branches/...nsoft.Json.dll

I'm using the latest version of Mono 2.6.3.

As far as "just for fun." I'm doing this in my off time as the shop I work for is a Microsoft ISV Gold partner, so developing for MacOS in Mono isn't really a no-no, but just an interesting Proof of Concept.

I went to a Mac based computer (for personal use) about 2 or 3 months ago, and I like using it much better than Windows, but I'm a C#.NET Developer... lol, go figure! :)

Thanks.

Well, the NewtonSoft.Json.dll says 3.5, but it says 3.5 regardless of which release it is. The latest NewtonSoft.Json release is 3.5 Release 6, which was released on 12/26/2009 (Updated on 1/22/2010).

I would assume we're using either 3.5 Release 5 (released on 10/10/2009), or maybe even 3.5 Beta 4 (release on 4/6/2009).

Unfortunately, all of these also build to 3.5 Version when you look at the .dll properties with no indication of build.

I can check out and build all three (not really what I want to do), but if you're unknown exactly which Release version it is, I might have to do this.

Let me know, if you can. I'll keep you posted on my progress with the build in MacOS Mono.

Thanks.

Hi state, et al.

Our v1.0 build is currently running the latest SVN build of Json.NET. We're updating straight from SVN and NOT using one of the marked build numbers.

I'm not sure what build number is stamped in Json.NET svn, but to the best of my knowledge it has not been published as an official download.

We're using the Json.NET SVN build because of recent fixes added by James to correct issues with having to run in IIS Full Trust. With the fix, running in Medium Trust is possible.

If you email me directly (geoff@object.net), I'll .zip and send you the latest Json.NET source we're using.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

I just uploaded the Json.NET .zip, see

http://ext.net/download/1-0-0/Json.NET.zip

Open the folder and run the Newtonsoft.Json.sln.

Hope this helps.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hey, thanks.

I'll check this out later tonight and let you know the results!

Alright, used the JSON project that you gave me. Everything is compiling correctly. Referenced the .dlls in a test ASP.NET project in Mono using MonoDevelop for MacOS.

Took the button overview example and ran it through the paces, everything worked fine. Ext.Net 1.0 is working like a champ with the NewtonSoft.JSON project recompiled using the Mono libraries.

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast