Ext.JS now GPL3.0

Ext.JS now GPL3.0

Hi Geoffrey,

The switch of license by EXT JS Corp for 2.1 Ext JS has caused a massive amount of shock and confusion on their fourm (I'm sure you've been following).

I've been close to buying a developer license from them for ages, but wasn't in the position (commercially) to do so. Having now got close to doing so, I was slightly disappointed to see the licensing switch. It appears to place restrictions on freelance developers working for other companies. For example, if I write a website for another company, I will need a developer license (as I'm conveying the work to them), and the company will need a license to have anyone else develop the website in the future.

Do you know yet what the impact to Coolite will be? I realise you'll probably come under the OEM/Reseller license, but I wondering if you had had discussions with Ext JS with regards to your licensing (and sub-licensing) situation.

Cheers

Steve

RE: Ext.JS now GPL3.0

All I can say is Wow! I didnt knew they did that with 2.1... but are they killing themselves? Because I wouldn't buy a license so restrictive...

RE: Ext.JS now GPL3.0

Hi Steve,

ExtJS LLC's move to GPL will cause changes to the licensing of the Coolite controls. Our version 0.5 release is imminent and we will be updating the licensing options at that time.

The Coolite commercial license is not affected by the move to GPL. We will also be providing some clarification that will answer the questions from your original post.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder