[1.0] FYI for Developers and Development Team

[1.0] FYI for Developers and Development Team

I can only speak to this particular environment.

Windows 7 visual studio 2008 with EXT 1.0.

Granted this was an unintentional copy & paste, but if you copy an paste say something like:

<ext:FormLayout ID="FormLayout1" runat="server" LabelAlign="Top">
        <Anchors>
            <ext:Anchor Horizontal="95%">
            </ext:Anchor>
        </Anchors>
    </ext:FormLayout>
    Into a Panel's Items with out a FormPanel it crashes VS. I can repeat it over and over again too. I tested this before posting. I know at times I have seen warnings about an item cannot be used or placed inside another item with out being nested inside something else. This doesn't produce anything and immediately dumps you out of VS with no warning or idea why.

RE: [1.0] FYI for Developers and Development Team

I might retract this post. My environment might be hosed. But I am not ready to let EXT.NET off the hook as this environment is mostly used for EXT projects.

I noticed from my SVN difference checker that <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/> was added to my web.config and I don't know how.

Right now after commenting this line out I haven't seen a crash yet. But the mystery was how this line got added. At one point I switched over to design (which i try to not do ever in an ext project) and in my toolbox in VS I clicked on an EXT.net component which i never do in design view as it seemed to not be worth my trouble in the past. So i stay strictly in the source view and design in there. I am presuming at this point this is when the above line was added to my web.config, as soon as VS added that component to the design.

Either way I know there seems to be something that needs to be flushed out with the design area in VS with EXT. As soon as this line was added I couldn't work with or edit ext related items in the Source part of VS with out crashing VS. I even crashed VS trying to examine the web.config in the project. i had to comment it in notepad and reopen the project and so far fingers crossed this is the solution to all my crashing.

Are you in Design Mode for the .aspx page when you paste, or in Html Mode and pasting into the markup syntax.

Very strange that VS would crash in Html mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening for you in Design Mode.

Maybe post your complete .aspx page if you can. I'd like to test with *exactly* the same code. If you can, please simplify your .aspx down to the bare minimum required to reproduce this crash.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hi,

You can try to disable design time for Ext.Net controls via extnet web. config section
    <extnet designMode="Disabled" />
    or
    <extnet designMode="ActionsOnly" />

Please restart VS after adding those changes to the web.config

Thanks for the update. Looks like we were both writing/posting at a similar time. I did not see your second post before I submitted my initial reply.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

i am only pasting in HTML or Source view never in design. I strictly try to not work in the design. But I did just try this one time to add an ext component and was investigating it in Design for a couple of minutes then deleted and went back to Source to add in what i really wanted. I owe you guys a couple samples right now. Once I get through my fires I will post.