[CLOSED] Ext.Net 4.8.1 accessibility guidelines

[CLOSED] Ext.Net 4.8.1 accessibility guidelines

My scenario:
    I do have one old dotnet web application, with 5 years old - give or take, using Ext.net 3.3.
    AFTER the developement of this app someone came up with one non functional requirement saying that the app SHOULD have support for acessibility.
    After this requirement, prior to the release, the application was rejected by the customer becouse of the missing acessibility support.

The project's team did a POC trying to insert some aria labels however the customer (blind) still rejected the application.
    ATM we are reevaluating this latest Ext.net version - 4.8.1 - in order to see if the acessibility support has grow or if it got better that what we had at five years ago.

I'm writing this topic hoping to find anyone to talk with about ext.net models and to see if it's fisible to get this project back, changing just the acessibility tags that are missing, OR if we will be forced to rewrite all our aspx pages.

I'm no acessibility expert - I know only a bit of the basic about acessibility and that is okay (most Jakob Nielsen stuff). Our customer don't need anything fancy or out of the ordinary.

the only info I've found regarding this subject here is at https://forums.ext.net/showthread.ph...ility-ext-aria however the documentation mentioned into this link is broken.

Any guideline, documentation about Ext.net AND acessibility will be a huge help!

thanks
    Woody
    Hi. The following Accesibility Guide might help provide some assistance:

https://docs.sencha.com/extjs/6.7.0/...ssibility.html
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

more acessibility samples?

Ok, I passed the eye into this documentation above and I'm still looking for some code samples and any model application.

Jeoffrey, please, could you point me out some Ext.net samples using acessibility? Anything especific made to be "acessible"?
    Hello @agodinhost! And welcome to Ext.NET forums, by the way!

I think I can help you with that one, for all, any examples in our examples explorers are actually Aria-aided. As you should have read in the documentation provided above, all components gets aria properties whenever it makes sense. The components also got aria properties you can set, most notably AriaAttributes, AriaLabel, AriaRole.

You can quickly experiment with Aria settings and aids by running the Examples explorer locally.

Here's something you may find interesting: Open the example at src/Examples/TabPanel/Basic/Move_Tabs/Default.aspx. Run the project in Debug configuration (from Visual Studio), so that it opens that page.

Once open, open developer tools and look at the console, you'll notice no output at all. Close it and go back to Visual Studio.

Then to any (or all) panels around lines 48-50 of the example, add the Closable="true" property, and re-run the project. Notice when you open development tools' console now, you'll get a warning about aria. This is one example showing some things when they are really "aria-unfriendly", you'll get warnings at run time while in Debug configuration (ScriptMode="Debug") in ResourceManager.

Experiment also with opening the full examples explorer in the local project you cloned off github (link above), then switching the theme to either the Aria or Graphite ones. They are special high contrast themes specific to accessibility feature. I don't think they add much other than high contrast though. Text readers aid and other accessibility features are imbued in the components and would work in any theme.

We have several examples where we added code to make the containers (fixed-size, windows, panels, containers, modals etc) to get specific dimensions depending on the theme so, if you mean to support multi-theming in your project, this could come in handy. One example is our TabPanels' TabBar Config (source in project), if you just search for Theme.Graphite within the project, you'll see more examples using this.

Other than that, I believe you should get a good hang on how to explore accessibility options in the web browsers. It seems Firefox is the one offering best development on this aspect, so a good starting point would be at Mozilla's article on accessibility featuresin Firefox.

Hope this helps you getting the most of accessibility features out of Ext.NET!
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Jun 08, 2019 at 8:07 AM.