SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'endsWith' on IE11

SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'endsWith' on IE11

Web site works fine in Chrome and Firefox but fails on IE 11.0.9600.18097. I get the following error:

SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'endsWith'

Caused by this line of code in ext.axd:
    parentToIndicator=this.indicatorEl.parent();parentIsIndicator=parentToIndicator.id!==undefined&&parentToIndicator.id.endsWith('-indicator');
    I also attached a screenshot.

I am using:
    *Visual Studio 2015 Pro
    *.NET Framework 4.6.1 MVC5
    *Nuget packages Ext.NET.MVC5 4.8.1 and Ext.NET.Utilities 2.5.0.

I understand this is related to ES6 browser support but my understanding is that Ext.NET 4.8.1 is compatible with IE11.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	script438_error_screenshot.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	25257  
    Last edited by fabricio.murta; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add issue tags
    Hello @radhyps, and welcome to Ext.NET forums!

I believe you missed sharing where you're seeing this error. Is it from any specific example in our examples explorer? Or maybe any simple page you write is breaking with that error message when you open on IE11?

We are simply unable to assess the situation without means to reproduce the issue so, can you point us to directions on reproducing the issue?

Looking forward to your follow-up.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    I am seeing the problem with our own web application, which we're migrating from Ext.Net MVC 2.5.2 to 4.8.1.

The line of code generating the error (pasted in my previous post) comes from an Ext.Net file served from the following URL: https://localhost:44311/extnet/extne...xt.axd?v=4.8.1

More specifically, the line of code is located in the updateIndicator() function of the Ext.net.FieldNote object.

My understanding is that String.endsWith() is not supported on IE11 (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/..._compatibility)

Hopefully this is enough information to go on.
    I was able to reproduce the problem by navigating to the complex portal example, MVC flavour: https://mvc.ext.net/#/Portal/Complex/

On the other hand, the deluxe portal in the Web Form examples is OK (https://examples4.ext.net/#/Portal/Basic/Deluxe/.

However, the IE debugger shows me something that I believe is not present when using the MVC version:
    $jscomp.polyfill('String.prototype.endsWith',function(a){if(a){return a}
    I believe the above provides the String.endsWith() capability missing from IE11. Seems to be missing in the MVC Nuget package?
    Hello again, @radhyps!

Thanks for pointing examples where you can reproduce this, and also details about how you couldn't reproduce the issue in WebForms Examples Explorer whereas you could in MVC one.

The reason you're reproducing the issue in MVC EE and not in WebForms one is because the examples you pointed are not really the same, to start with the MVC one forces the gray theme -- as the example was designed for that theme and is expected not to work well on other ones.

But this finding is itself very interesting and points towards a different approach to the issue (yes, that's a bug). The issue in practice is the Gray theme does not "wrap up" that String endsWith() method, whereas it is, from auxiliary javascript that is only used when the Triton theme is in place.

In other words, if you're willing to promptly fix this issue in your project, you can just wrap that "polyfill" code around your page, which looks like an extension to javascript strings (in case the method does not exist, I presume). Alternatively, switch for a more recent theme (Triton, Aria and Graphite are the newest ones) and you should get rid of this issue.

And for us to fix this for everyone, we've created issue #1638. From which, we'll post an update here as soon as the fix is implemented in the code.

Thanks for reporting it!
    Fabrício Murta
    Hello Fabricio,

Thank you for the prompt investigation. Our web application uses the Aria theme so the problem is not limited to the Triton theme.
    Hello @radhyps!

We ended up solving this one via issue #1649, reported a few days ago. And we will wrap up a 4.8.3 release to include a fix to this issue.

To avoid the double threads, we will move your post back to community forums and removes the issue references. But now there's a "reference thread" for this issue under: Login window display issue on IE only (all version 11 - 10 - 9 - 8)
    Fabrício Murta