[CLOSED] Ext.net "questionaire" message box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[CLOSED] Ext.net "questionaire" message box

Hi, I'm trying to implement a simple questionaire that occasionally pops up to some of our users, when certain criteria are met.
    It should roughly behave like this:

[DirectMethod(IDMode = DirectMethodProxyIDMode.None, ShowMask = true)]
            public void ShowQuestionaire()
            {
                var menuHtml = new StringBuilder();
                menuHtml.AppendFormat("<p class='center'>Help Make XYZ Company Better</p>");
                menuHtml.Append("<hr/>");
                menuHtml.Append("<p class='center'>How likely are you to recommend XYZ Company to a friend or colleague?</p>");            
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='1' value = '1' style = 'margin-right: 25'/> 1");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='2' value = '2'/> 2");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='3' value = '3'/> 3");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='4' value = '4'/> 4");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='5' value = '5'/> 5");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='6' value = '6'/> 6");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='7' value = '7'/> 7");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='8' value = '8'/> 8");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='9' value = '9'/> 9");
                menuHtml.Append("<input type='radio' name='ratingScore' id='10' value = '10'/> 10");
                //2 cell table, with left justified "Not Likely" in first col. and right justified "Very Likely" in last col
                menuHtml.Append("<table width='100%'><tr><td width='50%' align='left'>Not Likely</td><td width='50%' align='right'>Very Likely</td></tr></table>");
                menuHtml.Append("<p class='center'>Any comments or suggestions for us?</p>");
                menuHtml.Append("<textarea rows = '4' cols = '60'></textarea>");
                menuHtml.Append("<table width='100%'><tr><td align='right'><a href='dismiss.asp'>Dismiss until next quarter</a></td><td align='right'><button type = 'button' onclick = 'SomeFuncSubmit()'>Submit</button></td></tr></table>");            

X.MessageBox.Alert(String.Empty, menuHtml.ToString()).Show();
            }
    Native Ext.Net message box offers some variations somewhat close to this, but doesn't quite work out.
    Rather than dumbing everything in my message box down to HTML, it seems I should be able to use Ext.net controls, but can't seem to get that to work. Do I need to extend the Ext.Net message box?

We are trying to use something like Ext.Net message box, because it doesn't seem to trigger most browsers' pop-up blocker.

Thanks,
    Last edited by fabricio.murta; Sep 04, 2018 at 6:08 PM.
    Hello, @Caleb!

Drop the MessageBox away. Use a Window, where you can build a full set of components within (as a FormPanel).

Some things you might want with the window are:
    - Set it up as a modal
    - Add the 'ok' button with the clode() call at the window's BBar (bottom bar, Docked="bottom" alternatively)
    - Set the window's close action as CloseAction="Destroy"

Another option you may find interesting would be to use a CallOut with BodyWidgets, as shown in this example: CallOut Widget example.

The MessageBox itself is not a proper container. You can of course place the Ext.NET components therein, but keeping the layout will not be handled by Ext.NET anymore as the contents are meant to be generic-purpose HTML, and it might just turn back up to be as difficult as you may feel by just setting up the raw HTML components by yourself. The window and callout approaches looks much better and well-maintainable.

I hope this helps!
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Hi @fabricio.murta

Thanks for the suggestion. Am about to try using a modal window. Looking at the examples, I think it'll be something similar to this one: https://examples4.ext.net/#/Window/B...ow_Variations/

Do I need to tweak the z-index, or will my new window automatically render 1 layer above the original context?

I'm not able to get this simple test to appear:
    var questionaire = new Ext.Net.Window
                {
                    ID = "questionaire",
                    Title="Test Window",
                    Width=400,
                    Height=295,
                    BodyPadding=10,
                    Scrollable = ScrollableOption.Both,
                    Html = "<p>some text</p>",
                    AlwaysOnTop = true,
                    AlwaysOnTopIndex = 100                

};

questionaire.Show();
    Thanks,
    Hi @Caleb! Glad the suggestion was interesting!

Modal="true" is the key; it will imply always on top and gray out the rest of the viewport. Well, unless some buggy or unexpected behavior is around...

At first, it should show up atop simply because it is focused when it is shown.

The window is a more elaborate component; to show it you have to add it to the the page itself and instruct it to render. There are several threads on the forums and some examples in the examples explorer highlighting this. These two links might prove useful:
    - Forum thread: Window doesn't show when created from code behind.
    - Example on drawing a window from code behind during direct events/methods.
    - Example showing a window defined as hidden at page definition time

As discussed in the first link posted above, you should add the window to the list of controls if you defined it from code behind at page load time. In the thread, it is suggested to just add it to the Form control, but it could also be added to the ViewPort if you use one, or a panel, or any other control defined in the page.

Hope this helps.
    Fabrício Murta
    Hi @fabricio

Thanks for the suggestion. Can get my "window" for the ext.net to display in modal format, but getting stuck on adding simple content to it.

As I try to add ext.net components inside it, (rather than basic HTML only) I'm noticing a problem. I can't get HTML like a horizontal rule <hr/> to inter-mix with my ext.net components. Obviously with my original message box approach, everything was HTML so I could play with things as needed.

I've tried dynamically creating my window from the back-end, like this:
    var questionaire = new Ext.Net.Window
                {
                    ID = "questionaire",
                    Title="Test Window",
                    Width=475,
                    Height=370,
                    BodyPadding=10,
                    Scrollable = ScrollableOption.Both,
                    Html = "<p>some text</p>",                
                    Modal = true,
                    CloseAction = CloseAction.Destroy                                  
                };

var qPromoterScore = new Ext.Net.RadioGroup
                {
                    ID = "PromoterScore",
                    FieldLabel = "How likely are you to recommend XYZ to a friend or colleague?"
                    , LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top
                    , LayoutConfig = LayoutType.Fit
                };

qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio {ID = "Score1", Value = "1", BoxLabel = "1", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score2", Value = "2", BoxLabel = "2", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score3", Value = "3", BoxLabel = "3", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score4", Value = "4", BoxLabel = "4", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score5", Value = "5", BoxLabel = "5", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score6", Value = "6", BoxLabel = "6", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score7", Value = "7", BoxLabel = "7", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score8", Value = "8", BoxLabel = "8", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score9", Value = "9", BoxLabel = "9", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });
                qPromoterScore.Items.Add(new Ext.Net.Radio { ID = "Score10", Value = "10", BoxLabel = "10", LabelAlign = LabelAlign.Top });

questionaire.Items.Add( qPromoterScore );

var qBottomBar = new Ext.Net.Toolbar
                {
                    Dock = Dock.Bottom
                };
                qBottomBar.Add(new Ext.Net.Button { Text = "Defer" });
                qBottomBar.Add(new Ext.Net.Button { Text = "Submit" });

questionaire.BottomBar.Add( qBottomBar);
    And also declaring it upfront in the page markup, like this:
    <ext:Window runat="server" ID="Questionaire" Visible="false" Height="370" Width="475" BodyPadding="10" Modal="true" CloseAction="Destroy">
                        <Items>
                            <ext:Panel runat="server" Layout="CenterLayout" Width="470" BodyPadding="15" Html="How are we doing? <br/> <hr/> How likely are you to recommend XYZ to a friend or colleague?" />
                            <ext:RadioGroup runat="server" ID="PromoterScore">
                                <LayoutConfig>

</LayoutConfig>
                               <Items>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score1" BoxLabel="1" InputValue="1"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score2" BoxLabel="2" InputValue="2"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score3" BoxLabel="3" InputValue="3"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score4" BoxLabel="4" InputValue="4"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score5" BoxLabel="5" InputValue="5"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score6" BoxLabel="6" InputValue="6"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score7" BoxLabel="7" InputValue="7"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score8" BoxLabel="8" InputValue="8"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score9" BoxLabel="9" InputValue="9"/>
                                   <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score10" BoxLabel="10" InputValue="10"/>
                               </Items>
                            </ext:RadioGroup>
                        </Items>
                        <BottomBar>
                            <ext:Toolbar runat="server" ID="QuestionaireBottomBar">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:HyperlinkButton runat="server" ID="DeferQ" Text="Defer until next quarter" />
                                    <ext:Button runat="server" ID="SubmitQ" Text="Submit" />
                                </Items>
                            </ext:Toolbar>
                        </BottomBar>
                    </ext:Window>
    Do I need nest in different sub-containers in my Window, to layout a mix between HTML and Ext.NET components?
    Adding in normal html tags like <br/> and <hr/> are not rendering when I put them in the HTML attribute of my Panel sub-container.

Thanks,
    Hello @caleb!

You can either wrap the custom HTML within nested Panels (maybe, just Container for you don't need to see the component wrap whatsoever), or you can use, instead of a <Items /> block, a <Contents /> block.

Sticking to the Items will allow for Ext.NET to handle the layout the way you set on surrounding containers in. So you add a transparent ext:Container, and set its Html to have what you need. If you need simple text, you can use an even simpler, ext:Component with 'html' or ext:Label with 'text' (as the properties containing the contents respectively html and text for component and label).

Switching to Contents will be similar to using just HTML, but allows you to add Ext.NET components therein. They are rendered as-is and you may have issues making everything fit the way you need -- as well as it can just work, but under no guarantees; it will depend how and what is laid about.

Take a look on this example:
    - Checkout Form

Maybe a good alternative to splitting blocks with html's <hr />.

I hope this helps!
    Fabrício Murta
    Thanks @fabricio,

I've tried the lighter weight container approach you mentioned. I'm not sure if I implemented w/ Ext.NET best practice or not, since there's now containers sprinkled everywhere in my ext.net window element. But at least think things are largely working now.

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem with my text. You can see in this screenshot, that the bottom half of all my fonts are getting chopped/clipped off. (e.g. look at letters like "g").

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FontClippingProblem.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	25179

Is there a problem with my containers? With my margins? Or something else? Thanks.
    Here is my markup that I'm using:

<ext:Window runat="server" ID="Questionaire" Visible="false" Height="370" Width="475" BodyPadding="20" Modal="true" CloseAction="Destroy">
                        <Items>                        

<ext:Container runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" MarginSpec="12 15 5 15">
                                <LayoutConfig><ext:HBoxLayoutConfig Pack="Center"/></LayoutConfig>
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Good morning! Would you let us know how we're doing?" StyleSpec="font-size:15px;" />
                                </Items>
                            </ext:Container>

<ext:Container runat="server">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Label runat="server" Html="<hr/>"/>
                                </Items>

<LayoutConfig><ext:HBoxLayoutConfig Pack="Center" /></LayoutConfig>
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Label runat="server" Html="How likely are you to recommend us to a friend or colleague?"/>
                                </Items>

<ext:Container runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:RadioGroup runat="server" ID="PromoterScore" Flex="1">
                                       <Items>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score1" BoxLabel="1" InputValue="1" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score2" BoxLabel="2" InputValue="2" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score3" BoxLabel="3" InputValue="3" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score4" BoxLabel="4" InputValue="4" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score5" BoxLabel="5" InputValue="5" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score6" BoxLabel="6" InputValue="6" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score7" BoxLabel="7" InputValue="7" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score8" BoxLabel="8" InputValue="8" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score9" BoxLabel="9" InputValue="9" Flex="1"/>
                                           <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score10" BoxLabel="10" InputValue="10" Flex="1"/>
                                       </Items>
                                </Items>

<ext:Container runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" MarginSpec="-8 8 0 4">
                                <Items>                                
                                    <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Not Likely" StyleSpec="font-size:xx-small" />
                                    <ext:Panel runat="server" Flex="1" />
                                    <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Very Likely" StyleSpec="font-size:xx-small" />
                                </Items>

<ext:Container runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" Margin="15">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Any comments or suggestions, for us?"/>
                                </Items>

<Items>                                                                
                                    <ext:TextArea runat="server" ID="Suggestions" Flex="1"/>
                                </Items>
                        </Items>
                        <BottomBar>
                            <ext:Toolbar runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" ID="QuestionaireBottomBar">
                                <LayoutConfig>
                                    <ext:HBoxLayoutConfig Pack="End" />
                                </LayoutConfig>
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:HyperlinkButton runat="server" ID="DeferQ" Text="Defer until next quarter" />
                                </Items>
                        </BottomBar>
    Hello @caleb!

I can't -- and can -- reproduce the issue in my side.

Please provide the test case in a runnable fashion. Providing parts of it makes it harder to focus on the actual issue.

Take a look on this code, it shows right; I have just replaced the Visible="false" to Hidden="true" to ensure the window is actually included to the page and I can call its 'show()' method.

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<script runat="server">
        public void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

}

</script>
    <html>
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Ext.NET Example</title>

</head>
    <body>
        <form id="Form1" runat="server">
            <ext:ResourceManager runat="server" />
            <ext:Button runat="server" ID="btn1" Handler="App.Questionaire.show();" Text="Show wnd" />
            <ext:Window runat="server" ID="Questionaire" Hidden="true" Height="370" Width="475" BodyPadding="20" Modal="true" CloseAction="Destroy">
                <Items>                        
                        <Items>
                            <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Good morning! Would you let us know how we're doing?" StyleSpec="font-size:15px;" />
                        </Items>

<ext:Container runat="server">
                        <Items>
                            <ext:Label runat="server" Html="<hr/>"/>
                        </Items>

<Items>
                            <ext:Label runat="server" Html="How likely are you to recommend us to a friend or colleague?"/>
                        </Items>

<Items>
                            <ext:RadioGroup runat="server" ID="PromoterScore" Flex="1">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score1" BoxLabel="1" InputValue="1" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score2" BoxLabel="2" InputValue="2" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score3" BoxLabel="3" InputValue="3" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score4" BoxLabel="4" InputValue="4" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score5" BoxLabel="5" InputValue="5" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score6" BoxLabel="6" InputValue="6" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score7" BoxLabel="7" InputValue="7" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score8" BoxLabel="8" InputValue="8" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score9" BoxLabel="9" InputValue="9" Flex="1"/>
                                    <ext:Radio runat="server" ID="Score10" BoxLabel="10" InputValue="10" Flex="1"/>
                                </Items>
                        </Items>

<ext:Container runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" MarginSpec="-8 8 0 4">
                        <Items>                                
                            <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Not Likely" StyleSpec="font-size:xx-small" />
                            <ext:Panel runat="server" Flex="1" />
                            <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Very Likely" StyleSpec="font-size:xx-small" />
                        </Items>

<ext:Container runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" Margin="15">
                        <Items>
                            <ext:Label runat="server" Html="Any comments or suggestions, for us?"/>
                        </Items>

<Items>                                                                
                            <ext:TextArea runat="server" ID="Suggestions" Flex="1"/>
                        </Items>
                </Items>
                <BottomBar>
                    <ext:Toolbar runat="server" Layout="HBoxLayout" ID="QuestionaireBottomBar">
                        <LayoutConfig>
                            <ext:HBoxLayoutConfig Pack="End" />
                        </LayoutConfig>
                        <Items>
                        </Items>
                </BottomBar>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    In the test case above, just click the 'Show wnd' button and the modal window will be displayed on screen. I don't see any clipped text.

Hope this helps! If not, provide a runnable test case based on the above, there may be something else preventing us to reproduce the issue you seeing on your side.

p.s.: I left the 'page_load' handler blank, but in place, in case you need to add something, so you know you can add code-behind in the same file when building the test case for us to investigage).
    Fabrício Murta
    Hey Fabricio,
    Thanks for setting up a testable version of this. Have been stuck resolving several auxiliary functionality for this in our platform and some other ext.net things. Now those are resolved and circling back to this final detail.

I've added the runnable test to a separate ext.net sandbox solution. It has Ext.NET 4.3.0. Our main product is using latest 4.6.0. But I think that's close enough for the purposes of this test. I'm not sure what type of ExtJS theme it applies by default, but you can seen my screenshot of it (on the left) has a slightly different style than our main product's current style (on the right).

Nonetheless, somehow the bottom of the "y" is getting clipped off on the top title section of the pop-up. Are you seeing the same in your environment? Could this be a problem with rendering certain "themes"? Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FontClippingProblem2.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	25181
    Hello @caleb!

I was seeing what you seen when I was using the window like you provided: with Visible="false".

As soon as I switched from Visible="false" to Hidden="true", it properly rendered. But now I see it. While it /improved/, it didn't really fix it, sorry for not noticing the "g"s cut!

For one thing, it seems the Label component didn't adapt well to the new themes, this should be reviewed, as the component is exclusive to Ext.NET.

But the other hand, you can just replace all ext:Label references to ext:Component and they will all work -- with an exception to the one where you increased the size of the text thru styling.

I suggest you, in that case, to just give the component either a Height="20" (if ext:Label) or Height="18" (if ext:Component).

If you followed down to this point, you'd get a nice and tidy window with a broken (display-wise) ext:TextArea component. Just adjust the height of the main window and that should work.

Optional, but cool

1. Remove, the height specification property of the window. The window will then ensure the things within it fits height-wise, so never get a clipped text area again. Probably won't work if you do Visible="false".

2. Setup window's VBoxLayout to stretch the entries with:
    <LayoutConfig><ext:VBoxLayoutConfig Pack="Center" Align="Stretch"/></LayoutConfig>

3. Remove the container surrounding the ext:TextArea leaving just the text area component itself (along with its Flex="1" setting).

Voila, the window's textarea will not only fit the window (you may want to set a MinHeight and MinWidth to the window!), but will follow window resizing to keep it filled up, allowing a very big text area if the end user feels like writing a lot. :)

This is what you should see (including the issue if you do not specify MinHeight and resize its height too small): Window resizing Demonstration.
    Fabrício Murta
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast