Renaming <Content> to <Body>

Renaming to

The next public build (v0.7) is shaping up to be another monster release. The <ext:TreePanel>, <ext:Menu> and new AjaxEvent features will be included.

But... I come to you now looking for your opinion.

Ever since the first release, the "Content" region of the any Panel type Control (Panel, Window, Tab, etc) has been called <Content>. I was never really 100% happy with the name "Content", but couldn't think of a better label. That is until yesterday when I had a head-slap moment (doah!) and realized it should have been called <Body>.

I'm proposing a change from <Content> to <Body>.</p>

Example (Existing)
    <ext:Panel ID="Panel1" runat="server" Title="Title">
    *** <Content>
    ******* Add Controls Here...
    *** </Content>
    </ext:Panel>
    </p>

Example (New)
    <ext:Panel ID="Panel1" runat="server" Title="Title">
    *** <Body>
    ******* Add Controls Here...
    *** </Body>
    </ext:Panel>
    </p>

With existing functionality, on the client/browser, if you want to get an instance of the Panel's "body" element using JavaScript, you call the .getBody() function. The following example demonstrates how to get the body of a Panel during an <ext:Button> <Click> Listener and update the text. </p>

Example
    <ext:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Update Panel Body">
    *** <Listeners>
    ******* <Click Handler="Panel1.getBody().update('I just updated the Panel Body!')" />
    *** </Listeners>
    </ext:Button>
    </p>

I was also always bothered by the symantics of adding "Layout" controls to the "Content" area. Adding "Layout" controls to the "Body" makes for a better paradigm and just reads better.

The renaming would create a breaking change if upgrading from v0.6 (or earlier), although the functionality and logic of the <Content>/<Body> would remain unchanged.

I think for most (if not all projects) just a simple search-and-replace would be required to upgrade. The change would affect the following properties.</p>

In Markup
    1. <Content> changed to <Body>

In CodeBehind
    1. .Content changed to .Body
    2. .ContentControls changed to .BodyControls
    3. .ContentContainer change to .BodyContainer

I ran a couple tests and was able to update all our Coolite Toolkit projects (including Examples Explorer) took only a couple minutes using the four simple search-and-replace routines as outlined above. Everything recompiled and ran perfectly.

Please let me know what you think.
    </p>
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

RE: Renaming to

Hi Geoff,

yes it's true, changing the tag name to Body is the right choice considering the js getBody() function.

... ready for 'search-and-replace' !!

Matteo

RE: Renaming <Content> to <Body>

I just can't resist any longer. I'm changing everything over to <Body>.

The new <Body> code will drop into SVN later today and will be included with the v0.7 release.

Please see V0.7 Breaking Changes for more information,*http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?586
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Jan 19, 2011 at 5:25 AM.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Changing <Content> to <Body> uncovered an unfortunate parsing bug in Visual Studio 2005 design-time.

With the upcoming v1.0 release our goal was to once again fully support Visual Studio 2005. We've made the decision to roll-back the change and go back to <Content>.

I apologize for the breaking change.

Converting back to <Content> is a relatively simple process using a Visual Studio case-sensitive search. Just search for and replace the following string...

Body>

... with ...

Content>

Including the closing ">" angle-bracket will pick up both opening and closing tags.

This change is only included as of the v1.0 release.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Isn't your instruction the opposite of what we are trying to do? I thought we are replacing Body> with Content> ????

jchau (10/19/2009) Isn't your instruction the opposite of what we are trying to do? I thought we are replacing Body> with Content> ????
    Ya, you're right. Sorry about that. I'll fix the above post.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

I added the following note to the CHANGELOG.txt under item #45.

Renaming all <Body> tags in a project to <Content> can be easily
    accomplished with a case-sensitive search and replace within Visual
    Studio. Please search for the following (remove double quotes) and
    ensure you have the "Match case" option checked.

Find what: "Body>"
    Replace with: "Content>"
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder