[OPEN] [#1360] [3.3.0] Selecting a submenu triggers a redirect on mobile

[OPEN] [#1360] [3.3.0] Selecting a submenu triggers a redirect on mobile

Hi,

I noticed a strange behaviour on mobile device: selecting a submenu triggers a redirect that opens the browser and reload the page.

This happens only if the app is started from a link in the device home while all works fine and no redirect occurs if it's open directly from browser.

To reproduce:

1. Open Menu Row Command example link in Safari and save it to IOS home

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	24696

2. Open it from new home link

Name:	img2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	24697

3. Open a submenu

Name:	img3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	24698

Resulting redirect:

Name:	img4.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	24699

Cheers!
    Hello @adrianot!

This issue is only reproducible if you link the page thru iOS to a 'home icon'? If you simply open in from examples explorer, no redirect at all?

I can't reproduce this on android with Chrome browser at least. Can you confirm hardware (iphone or ipad N) and versions of iOS & Safari?

It would be most intriguing if this issue can only be reproduced if the issue happens only when page is open directly from a shortcut.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Hi fabricio,

yes, the issue occurs only opening the page from a home icon link in iOS (just checked a GalaxyTab S2 with android 5.0.2 and all works fine.)

I encountered the problem on an iPad2 with iOS 9.3.2
    Hello @adrianot! That's a pretty tricky issue. By any chance can you experiment installing the Chrome browser (I am pretty sure it runs on iOS as well) and check if you still can reproduce the issue with the icon shortcut?

This is an odd behavior, and maybe you could circumvent it if you created a page on your host which redirects the user (META Redirect or temporary redirect HTTP header) to the example. Like, creating a shortcut from an url squisher tool and saving the squished link on the home screen shortcut instead of the direct link for the page.

You found this while browsing examples from the mobile phone, or did you trigger this in an application you have written? Perhaps you can reproduce the same behavior in the buttons in case #9 and/or #10 with the following example?

Buttons overview (split buttons).

We've just logged issue #1360 to track this bug!
    Fabrício Murta
    Hi Fabricio, we've read that in the ExtJS forums you wrote that only CommandColumn submenus are impacted by the issue; actually we discovered that the issue is present any time the submenus are used (also on standalone commands with submenus).

Could you please request an update on this issue?

Thank you!
    Hello @adrianot!

I probably didn't express myself correctly, but I don't remember where in ExtJS Forums I did such an affirmation. Can you link the thread please?

I the issue I've stated that at least in the situation described the bug happens, just to emphasize an specific situation where the problem clearly happens, but I do not try to limit the issue to that situation. In orther words, there's at least one situation where the bug is reproducible, but it does not mean that the described situation is not reproducible in other scenarios.

Well, at least at the time of writing, that was the idea, just to emphasize a situation that happens to make it easier to reproduce. But if it was not clear for you probably I could use some rewording or append something to it. Now, if you pointed where we should be requesting an update on the wording, we'd gladly do so!
    Fabrício Murta
    Hi Fabricio, first of all sorry I was referring ExtJS forums whereas you wrote on your GitHub forums not on ExtJS one.

Basically I would suggest to change the subject from:
    "CommandColumn component's submenus trigger redirect on iOS in some circumstances"

To:
    "Submenus trigger redirect to another page on iOS when app linked from device "home" icon"

The reason behind that is that the impact of this behavior is a showstopper for any Ext.Net application that is run from an IPAD for example. Normally, the link on the "Home" is done to build a better experience, reducing the UI elements such as browser header and so on...

Do you have any news about the fix of this issue?

Thank you for help as always,
    Adriano
    Hello @adrianot!

Would you kindly review my post above and provide a feedback for the inquiries there? That would help a lot understand more about the problem and review the github issue to reflect to a more actual situation.

Maybe you want also to provide a simplified example using the menus in their simplest form that triggers the issue, which will clear out any (or many) questions on what's really involved in reproducing the issue and what should be fixed.

That's not clear yet why this happens only if you create a shortcut, and on iPad (probably iPhone too) devices. Wouldn't that be rather a limitation or quirk in Safari?
    Fabrício Murta