Ext.Net in vb.net on MVC architecture

Ext.Net in vb.net on MVC architecture

We have this project which is on MVC architecture, and we have finalized VB.NET language (clients request) and created Views using razor syntax means .vbhtml instead of usual .cshtml. We are also exploring .net frameworks to provide generic controls for business application at reasonable price. We came across this Ext.Net framework using Sencha ExtJs library, but the issue is we are not able to get the start. We are not able to draw even Ext.Net TextField or GridPanel. We are getting this below output
    Ext.Net.TextField+Builder
    code in Index.vbhtml
    @Code

ViewData("Title") = "Home Page"
        Dim X = Ext.Net.Html.X()

End Code

<div class="jumbotron">
        <h1>ASP.NET</h1>
        <p class="lead">ASP.NET is a free web framework for building great Web sites and Web applications using HTML, CSS and JavaScript.</p>
        <p><a href="http://asp.net" class="btn btn-primary btn-lg">Learn more &raquo;</a></p>
    </div>

<div class="row">
        <div class="col-md-4">
            <h2>Getting started</h2>
            <p>
                ASP.NET MVC gives you a powerful, patterns-based way to build dynamic websites that
                enables a clean separation of concerns and gives you full control over markup
                for enjoyable, agile development.
            </p>
            <p><a class="btn btn-default" href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=301865">Learn more &raquo;</a></p>
        </div>
        <div class="col-md-4">
            <h2>Get more libraries</h2>
            <p>NuGet is a free Visual Studio extension that makes it easy to add, remove, and update libraries and tools in Visual Studio projects.</p>
            <p><a class="btn btn-default" href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=301866">Learn more &raquo;</a></p>
        </div>
        <div class="col-md-4">
            <h2>Web Hosting</h2>
            <p>You can easily find a web hosting company that offers the right mix of features and price for your applications.</p>
            <p><a class="btn btn-default" href="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=301867">Learn more &raquo;</a>
            @X.TextField().ID("Textbox")
            </p>
        </div>
    So Questions:
    1. Does Ext.Net works with razor syntax using Vb.Net?
    2. Is my web.Config file missing something? ( I have already referred guide to configure web.config for Ext.Net)

About Project and Setup I used:
    1. I have created test project with ASP.NET 4.5 framework.
    2. Installed Ext.Net using Nuget Package Installer (GUI), not using console.
    3. Version selected Ext.Net 4.0.0

Please help to get started with Ext.Net. Otherwise we will have to leave this framework without even trying.
    Last edited by puns11; Apr 30, 2016 at 9:06 PM.
    Hello @puns11! Welcome to Ext.NET forums!

Yes, razor syntax + VB.NET works on Ext.NET. I've just tested here a simple page and, reviewing your example, I see you do not instantiate a resource manager to your page, so that's why it does not work.

You don't see a call to Html.X().ResourceManager() on our latest MVC examples explorer because we leave it on the layout file. So when you build a blank project, you probably don't have a layout file preparing the page for the dynamic resources.

Although our MVC examples explorer (linked also above) is all written in C#, creating a VB.NET MVC website and linking it to Ext.NET should work just the same! Of course, you can't just run the examples explorer sources on VB.NET as it is written for C#, but you can use the C# version to answer many questions you might have about how to put a sample code up to speed.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Thanks. I used Html.X().ResourceManager and things started to move.

I was able to run one example of grid panel given in example explorer. But again there are very less examples for MVC compared to web forms. any specific reason? Our current and upcoming project are going to be based on MVC razor syntax.
    Hello! Glad you could get started with Ext.NET!

The MVC Examples Explorer has basically examples showing specific aspects of components and features that are MVC-only but also showcases main components' features.

We didn't just port everything as that would be trivial look-and-write basically repeating the same thing and would take a lot of time to port every example. We believe that writing the basic MVC examples provided is enough to understand the component's purpose. Extending it with the other features showcased in WebForms examples should be straightforward once the main figure is clear.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert