[CLOSED] [#1304] [1.7] Assemblies missing in the repository?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[CLOSED] [#1304] [1.7] Assemblies missing in the repository?

Hi,

I've noticed that Ext.Net.Utilities.dll v. 2.2 and Newtonsoft.Json.dll v. 4.5.11 assembly files are no longer available in SVN at http://svn.ext.net/premium/branches/...ties.2.2.1/lib and http://svn.ext.net/premium/branches/...5.11/lib/net35, respectively. Please restore them, if possible. Also, if you could somehow include the System.Web.Mvc.dll v. 2.0 or its NuGet package, that would be great.
    Last edited by fabricio.murta; Apr 07, 2016 at 6:22 PM.
    Hello @vadym.f!

These packages were removed in favor of using NuGet packages. Actually, on first build using Visual Studio, it should restore the NuGet packages accordingly. Is that not happening for you?
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    No, unfortunately. I'm using Win 10 Enterprise with VS 2015 in my dev environment trying to build the 2012 solution. Could that be an issue?
    Hello @vadym.f!

I've just tested a clean Ext.NET 1 clone with VS2015 on Windows 8.1, there shouldn't be much difference than windows 10. It just restored NuGet packages on first build and went ahead with it, successful build. Believe it or not, it was the first build (ever) this installation of VS2015 did on my desktop (been using 2013 more frequently still).

When I started building Ext.NET, the "Restoring NuGet packages" dialog was presented and they were downloaded accordingly.

Try erasing all directories inside the packages/ directory on the project root. Do not delete packages/repositories.config (it is not a directory as the others). Double-check for changes, and also you should have packages.config files on the individual projects' root, they should contain something like this:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages>
      <package id="Ext.NET.Utilities" version="2.2.1" targetFramework="net35" />
      <package id="Newtonsoft.Json" version="4.5.11" targetFramework="net35" />
    </packages>
    If your code is in sync with SVN, you must have these right.

As for MVC, it does not have references to NuGet MVC packages but it should find from system's references. You also having trouble with the MVC reference? You have a good point for the missing reference, but I'm not sure right now the reason you have it missing. Probably it requires a one-time installation of the MVC 2 Framework to have system refs working.

Now, the nuget packages not being restored is at least intriguing, maybe you got a specific VS variant that does not include NuGet support?

EDIT: Oh! I've built the vs2012 solution on my side. Notice I'm not opening individual projects -- but the whole solution.
    Fabrício Murta
    Thanks for your quick response, Fabricio!

Here're the steps I'm following:
    • Donwloaded a clean SVN copy of source code from http://svn.ext.net/premium/branches/1 (no modification whatsoever)
    • Opened the Ext.Net.vs2012.sln solution with VS 2015 Enterprise (no other VS versions installed)
    • Tried to Build Solution at the root

I can tell that the problems start manifesting themselves even prior to building as reference related errors pile up. The build fails with nearly 3K worth of errors. I'm never prompted with the "Restoring NuGet packages" dialog. It must be something rather simple that's missing from the makeup.

Update
    OK, so the problem seems to be related to VS 2015 (or so I think). On my old machine running Windows 7 and VS 2012, the build behavior is more or less in line with what you've described in this post. There's a NuGet prompt bar which, if accepted, allows the Studio to download and reference the missing NuGet components.
    In VS 2015, I don't see any prompt for starters and reference related errors begin to creep right when the solution gets open. Then I go to Tools->NuGet Package Manager->Manage NuGet Packages for Solution... menu (see the screenshots). The packages appear already installed. Then, when I click the Restore button, I'm getting an error. The Studio apparently disallows uninstall of these packages, too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	24537

Name:	screen02.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	24538

Name:	screen03.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	24539
    Last edited by vadym.f; Apr 05, 2016 at 9:27 PM.
    Hello! I had this happening as you described (stuck uninstalled packages, unable to uninstall either) when I had a project with path references to non-existent packages/ directory. But there wasn't the solution file to open to begin with. Not our case here.

Do you have this on your VS2015?

Name:	01-restoreOption.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	24541

A similar progress bar is shown here when I try to build a clean project the first time (regardless of doing the option above!).

Name:	02-restoreProgressBar.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	24542

Actually clicking the context menu is just equivalent as restoring the packages without building. If any package is missing, VS automagically restores them on the next build.

By the way, any chance you have modified your NuGet settings to remove the nuget.org repository? The only missing part from your screenshots are just the package source field. It is .. empty? Look how it should show (the text is left-aligned, so seems you really have no package source host set up on NuGet!):

Name:	03-nugetPackageSourceURL.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	24543

I am pretty sure this is the reason your VS2015 is failing to restore NuGet packages, re-enable nuget.org repository and you should be good. :)

Here, it should be checked like this on your settings (you can click the cog next to the 'Packages source field -- from your screenshots, scroll right to see it!):

Name:	04-enableNugetOfficialRepo.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	24544

This repo is set up by default on Visual Studio so for some reason you may have disabled it on your computer, and that would render NuGet package manager pretty useless (as you screenshots suggests you have no repository enabled at all).

Hope this helps!
    Fabrício Murta
    This repo is set up by default on Visual Studio so for some reason you may have disabled it on your computer, and that would render NuGet package manager pretty useless (as you screenshots suggests you have no repository enabled at all).
    That was an excellent pointer, many thanks! Indeed, on a newly built machine with a default VS 2015 installed, the NuGet package sources were somehow missing and that was the root of the problem. One would hope for a more descriptive error message by Microsoft given the circumstances but I'm just glad it was fixed :)
    Please feel free to close this thread.
    Glad this sorted out the issue!

We'll keep an open eye to see if more people on fresh OS set ups are getting this problem with VS2015 + NuGet, we might add a FAQ entry for that if this becomes too common. Thanks for sharing the outcome!
    Fabrício Murta
    Hi Fabricio,

If you don't mind, please update SVN branch 1 in order to include the configuration of the MVC 2 NuGet package. MVC v. 2 is an older NuGet package and the binaries don't get shipped with VS 2015 or .Net Framework libraries to that effect. I've made the changes locally and it would be great if they persisted going forward whenever the source code gets refreshed from the repo:

That would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vadym.f; Apr 07, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Hello @vadym.f!

We've just created issue #1304 to implement this but, before proceeding, we wanted to confirm with you, whether the NuGet package to MVC2 version 2.0.1 works fine on your side, or if you have to choose v2.0.0 in order to install.

To check so, follow these steps:
    - expand the references on the Ext.Net.MVC project,
    - remove the static System.Web.Mvc reference,
    - open NuGet package Manager (right-click the Ext.Net.MVC project, click "Manage NuGet Packages...")
    - on the "Browse" tab, search for "MVC2"
    - scroll down the list until you see the "Mvc2 package by nikmd23
    - on the details, you'll have "Latest stable 2.0.1"
    - Install this version and check whether it works on your MVC project (I believe you missed the library because you actually use it, right?)

If it does not, uninstall the package and check the same package, but switch the version to 2.0.0. This should work now.

We're going to implement the fix based on your feedback, thank you!

EDIT: your shared packages.config suggests it works fine, we wanted just a confirmation whether it really works as intended before making it live.
    Fabrício Murta
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast