[CLOSED] Object Reference not set to instance of an object

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[CLOSED] Object Reference not set to instance of an object

Hello,
    I am using Ext.Net V3.3.0 and c# Net framework 4.6.1. My project is working fine in Windows 8.1 but when i run it on a Windows 7 computer in the development environment, i get an error. I have gotten the same error on 2 Windows 7 machines and i have also ran all the windows updates on those computers.

The line of code i am calling is in an Mvc controller...
    return this.RedirectToAction
    ( "Index" , "Name" , new
    {
    	token = sToken 
    } );
    i get the following error...
    Object reference not set to instance of an object
    and the stack trace is pointing to the Ext.Net library...
    at Ext.Net.ResourceManager.GetBeforeInitScript(Boolea n clear) at Ext.Net.DirectResponse.get_Script() at Ext.Net.DirectResponse.get_ConfigOptions()\r\n at Ext.Net.ClientConfig.Process(Object obj) at Ext.Net.ClientConfig.Serialize(Obje....
    I just found new info...it works in Visual Studio 2013, but not Visual Studio 2012.

Thanks.
    Last edited by fabricio.murta; Apr 05, 2016 at 7:26 PM.
    Hello @edip!

Did you try VS2012 on windows 8.1 as well? If you can't reproduce this on VS2012 + win8.1, think you can make a simple bare project reproducing the issue and share it? Please, make sure not to include any .dll or Web.config with keys in your test case!
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Hi Fabricio,
    Yes I reproduced it on Windows 8.1 in Visual Studio 2012...Visual Studio 2013 works fine???
    So it looks like a VS2012-specific issue. Can you reproduce the bug if you run on VS2012 in debug mode disabled (run without debugging)? We still would require a test case (or project) reproducing the issue so we could pinpoint the cause of the problem and hopefully fix the problem.

Although this really look like a problem with VS2012.
    Fabrício Murta
    Hello again, another suggestion that just arose from searching google a couple keywords:

I see a few issues about VS2012 and .NET 4.6 (while things works on VS2013, they break on VS2012!). You may try to convert your project back to .NET 4.5 or 4.0 (and comment/stub out whatever you have 4.6-specific in code) and see if it works with VS2012.
    Fabrício Murta
    I am trying to recreate the error in a skeleton project, but have not had any success yet.
    Thanks, we couldn't reproduce it by our side as well, so unfortunately we have to look forward for your success on reproducing the issue in an isolated environment so we can really help getting rid of it.

But I still have a thought on the problem being inherent to VS2012 and we being unable to actually address it by our side.
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Apr 05, 2016 at 2:09 PM.
    Fabrício Murta
    Hello @edip!

I am afraid the project does not work for me here. First, it complained about a wrong path to Bcl.Build, then MVC does not match, and there's too much in the project besides Ext.NET for us to dig in further and run the project. Can you double check whether the project works for you on a clean unzip?

Or rather, wouldn't it work if you recreated the problem from a new project, there seems to be so many things on the project it is hard to say that the problem even comes from Ext.NET actually...

Sorry if this does not help much but there's a lot just to make the project run, I fear not being able to reproduce the issue after fixing all that... and maybe finding other unrelated issues, making it even harder to identify the problem you are having with Ext.NET.

Do you discard the possibility of the problem be happening on another library instead of Ext.NET?
    Fabrício Murta
    Sorry, I will try to unzip what I sent you and make sure it works. I am fairly certain that the error is occurring in the ext.net library...it shows that in the stack trace.
    I have sent an update to only the c# project file as an email attachment. It removes unnecessary dependencies. Please let me know if it does not work.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast