[CLOSED] MultiCombo with typing

[CLOSED] MultiCombo with typing

Hi
    I wanted to make control like in Microsoft outlook when sending mail and then typing in To field. As I type part of the name I get filtered list of people to whom I can send mail. When I choose one name it is written back to text control and I can type another, again with a help of filtered list. This is somehow combination of functionalities of combobox and multicombo together in one control. Is there a possibility to make multicombo to work like this what I explained.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outlook.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	24494

I have just discovered that tags textbox when you're giving tags for thread is working the same way :)

How to do it?
    Last edited by fabricio.murta; Mar 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM.
    Hello @ingbabic!

I am afraid Ext.NET 2.x does not support this kind of selection. If you try this example: Combo Boxes Overview - Multiple Selection

You'll notice that, if you fill part of the first state name, it will accordingly pop up on the drop down. But as you type the second name onwards, no pop up is displayed at all.

If you check the same example for Ext.NET 3.3 (here), you'll notice how it supports showing the pop up with name completion after the first entry, but when you select an entry, it will be the only one selected. Just a matter of adjusting the select default behavior to add to selection instead of replacing it when pressing ENTER on the box.

So, in summary, this is a feature not supported in Ext.NET 2 but supported in Ext.NET 3 and newer.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Thanks Fabricio. I was thinking before to switch to 3.x, but one thing was really drive me back. Speed of loading samples (and I suppose, the same would be with application) is barely acceptable. I'm afraid if I put that in production I will have massive complaints Why it is so slower then 2.x?
    Hello @ingbabic!

We understand your concern about the main examples explorer loading slower and agree this is not just a feeling but a fact. Besides new functionality and fixed behaviors, also the examples explorer itself is a big static tree that can benefit pretty much of dynamic loading of nodes. This does not exclude the fact that it loads slower on our 3.x version though.

But that's not always the case. I have just loaded an example full of components and subject them to a profiler. So I tested them directly, without the influence of the frame tree of example & tab panel (which are not stuck to the Neptune theme).

Before testing, I went on the Examples Explorer for Ext.NET 3 settings and switched the Theme to "Gray", to match default in Ext.NET 2.

Then I opened & instrumented this example:
    https://examples3.ext.net/Examples/G...nent_Overview/

The result I got here was then:

Name:	60717-ee3profile.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	24496

That was sorting by the individual time each function taken (exclusive) during the load of the page.

If I sort by the overall time it represented in the load of the page (inclusive), what I got was this:

Name:	60717-ee3profileInclusive.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	24497

Alright, now let's see how Ext.NET 2 behaves on this same scenario. The example loaded then was:
    https://examples2.ext.net/Examples/G...nent_Overview/

Analogous to v3 test, we got this exclusive-time-bound results:

Name:	60717-ee2profile.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	24498

Well, looks similar. So that's a positive feedback by itself. Actual individual views are not really affected by the version upgrade although there are several components in both!

So let's look now the inclusive contribution of functions during the load, similarly to v3 above:

Name:	60717-ee2profileInclusive.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	24499

And... It is actually slower than v3! A tiny bit, but as high as 10% slower, and may vary between samples taken.

This example was chosen because it has a lot of components inside and would be a good show case of performance for loading different components. I also eliminated overhead due to the used theme here by using the "Gray" theme on both versions. I didn't do tests before choosing it and didn't arbitrarily chose the example to show a positive result. It just happened to be the case, and I think it illustrates well an actual use case in an real-world application, at least.

That said, maybe version 3 -- or rather, our upcoming version 4 which has also performance improvements -- is really worth a try upgrading. You can download the package and give your real world application a try before definitely choosing to upgrade or not. Although some things will require adjustments to fit the new version, I believe you can get a good idea on the application parts you are most concerned with. And from that point, start benefitting from the new components, providing a new experience to you application users!

Hope this little tests helps release a little of the "slowness" feeling about Ext.NET 3 and encourage you to try not just 3 but the upcoming 4th version! Actually, I really feel like the examples explorer main page loading is faster on version 4!

You may have examples on Examples Explorer that better reflect actual use cases on your real world application; you might want to point one or two examples of that so we can compare performance and keep an eye open on that feature, or maybe identify and optimize by ourselves before our underlying framework vendors, Sencha, does!

Last but not least, I hope this long post is not too boring to follow and provide you with useful insight! :)
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Fabricio,
    Thank you for exhaustive answer, I have actually set my mind just by looking examples explorer, not going deeper, thinking if it can go faster, they would make it so. I have planned to try upgrade by the end of this, beginning of the following year and by that time 4.x will be well out so it might be that I will skip 3.x completely. The world is going too fast forward, if you're asking me ;)