Getting Started with EXT.NET

Getting Started with EXT.NET

Hello,

I'm exploring whether I can use Ext.Net in my next project. Currently, I'm used to developing in EXTJS 5.1.1 in a php environment. But now, I have a requirement to deploy to a .NET environment.

I ran a test of installing an ASP.NET project with EXT.NET in Visual Studio and the site example page came up and was working. I've looked through some examples and read through the documentation, but I'm confused about a number of things.

1) Would my current EXTJS 5.1.1 applications work in EXT.NET? For instance, I develop using EXTJS MVC framework, so I have literally dozens of applications using the following structure:

index.html
    app.js
    app/Application.js
    app/controller/...
    app/view/...
    app/store/...
    app/model/...

What needs to be modified? Do I have to completely rewrite what I've done?

2) Can I still use Sencha Command to compile my JavaScript?

3) Do the Ext.net and EXTJS classes get installed on the server, or do we have to reference them from http://speed.ext.net?

Any newbie guidance or pionters here would be very much appreciated!

Fred I
    Hello @fredillich,

Welcome to the Ext.NET forums!

1) Would my current EXTJS 5.1.1 applications work in EXT.NET? For instance, I develop using EXTJS MVC framework, so I have literally dozens of applications using the following structure:

index.html
    app.js
    app/Application.js
    app/controller/...
    app/view/...
    app/store/...
    app/model/...

What needs to be modified? Do I have to completely rewrite what I've done?
    It is difficult to provide a clear answer on that. For example, if you create an ASP.NET WebForms application, then put all the ExtJS MVC application files to the root saving the structure, then I would expect it just works. So, client side part will be an ExtJS MVC application and you can use ASP.NET to handle server requests. But if you need an ASP.NET MVC application and you need to convert ExtJS controllers to ASP.NET MVC controllers, then it is another story. Though, I guess the first scenario is your case - you would like to leave the ExtJS MVC application as it is and just change the server side from PHP to ASP.NET. The important thing here whether Ext.NET license allows to just put an ExtJS MVC application to an ASP.NET WebForms application with Ext.NET. Native ExtJS can be used with Ext.NET. For example, if an .aspx page has an <ext:ResourceManager>, then anything else on that page might be done via pure ExtJS. But I am not sure about your scenario. I will try to clarify it asking our licensing expert.

2) Can I still use Sencha Command to compile my JavaScript?
    Ext.NET doesn't distribute the full ExtJS repo which Sencha Command requires. Though, if you already have an ExtJS license, then, I guess, it is not going to be a problem at all. As well as the licensing issue above.

3) Do the Ext.net and EXTJS classes get installed on the server, or do we have to reference them from http://speed.ext.net?
    Ext.NET manages JavaScript and CSS resources. By default, it loads resources from a .dll. You can switch mode to CDN and resources will be loaded from http://speed.ext.net. Though, it deals with a combined ExtJS JavaScript file which includes everything - ext-all.js or ext-all-debug.js. If you use Sencha Command and dealing with custom ExtJS builds, then you'll have to manage resources manually.

Hope this helps.
    If the Ext.NET Resource Manager is used on your Page (or MVC View), then you should be good to go.

If you have built an app with a full JavaScript front end based on the Sencha MVC project structure, then you'll need to stick with licensing Ext JS directly from Sencha.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder