Reasons to migrate from 1.7 to 3.x

Reasons to migrate from 1.7 to 3.x

Hi,

I'm looking to prepare a summary of the most important framework improvements, advancements, and other crucial factors that would make a compelling case for migration from Ext.Net 1.7 to 3.x. I would also be interested in exploring potential reasons it would NOT make sense to migrate at this point. If you could provide me with basic ideas and resources to get started, that would be very helpful and appreciated.
    Hello @vadym.f!

Glad to hear about your interest to upgrade to Ext.NET 3!

Just to start with, several new components and facilities to several existing components are added on the newer versions. If I recall well, Ext.NET 1 is around two years old now, and no new feature is to be added to it.

You can have a good view of how visual and features changed by comparing the two examples explorer:
    Ext.NET v1 examples explorer
    Ext.NET v3 examples explorer
    This alone will add a LOT of reasons as for why to upgrade. New components add room for very cool, new, and timely developed new features!

- MVC Support. Since v2, we have MVC support on Ext.NET. I think v1 has no mvc+razor support.
    - The visual, themes and touch friendliness for modern browsers and mobile devices

Another reason to upgrade is, the sooner you upgrade, the easier will it be to upgrade to upcoming versions. For example, to upgrade from 1.x to 2.x you would have a X quantity of work to do. To upgrade from 1.x to 3.x you would have a X + Y amount of work. When version 4 is out, who knows how much you would need to change? X + Y + Z.

Other good sources of reasons would be the CHANGELOG for versions, since 2.0, and also breaking changes documents.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    Thanks for your response, Fabricio.

Our project has been implemented using ASP.Net Web Forms architecture so MVC, while nice to have, isn't one of the deciding factors. In a nutshell, I need to be able to answer the following three questions:

• Does v3.x provide viable runtime performance improvements compared to v1.7 and where?
    • Does v3.x foster better defined and streamlined design, development and testing activities on a project team and how?
    • Does v3.x provide for easier and/or faster application development, maintenance and support and how?
    WebForms is a very good choice by itself.-

Ext.net is based on Sencha's extjs, which is basically a javascript framework. The version of extjs used in 1.7 was solid and fully compatible with the browsers' versions of that time. So, even if better data management, more components (e.g. charts), way more configuration options, a ton of bug fixes and tablet support are not good enough reasons for you to migrate, the browsers evolution will be, eventually. 1.7 is not going to be upgraded and its extjs version (3.4, if memory serves me) isn't, either.

In conclusion, an upgrade is a good idea, especially if you can afford it, unless your application is destined to run in a OS/browser/device setup that won't change.