AjaxEvent Performance

AjaxEvent Performance

What affects the performance of an AjaxEvent? I have a simple page with one button and one label. On button click, it updates the label from server side via AjaxEvent. Very very fast. I have another more complex page with a grid and a label. On grid row select, it updates the label from server side via AjaxEvent. Much slower than simple page. Is the performance hit from loading the page's controls tree? I disabled viewstate for both pages. I am not rebinding the grid on ajax request either. If I change from AjaxEvent to WebService, the performance is about the same in both.

I am still debating whether to use AjaxEvent or WebService for my application. WebService requires a lot of manual hookup while AjaxEvent is relatively easy to implement. However, I have pages with LOTS of stuff on it. I want to know exactly how that will impact AjaxEvent performance.

Note: I mention grid's AjaxEvent is much slower but this is a relative comparison with the simple page. It's still MUCH MUCH faster than using UpdatePanel or Postback.

RE: AjaxEvent Performance

Question about your complex page: Do you call Store.DataBind during AjaxEvent (in Page_Load, for example)? If yes then the Data will be returned to the client (plus will be wasted time to retrieve data from your local store (DB or something else))

RE: AjaxEvent Performance

Hi jchau,

We're adding some new functionality to the AjaxEvents and once complete I'll be able to provide a lot more information. The new functionality will provide a granular level of configuration to be able to tweak your AjaxEvents to your specific requirements.*

Using the Default functionality (basically an "Ajax" PostBack) or calling an ASP.NET WebService (.asmx) will both be trivial.*

With some luck I should have some more information and code samples available either late today or tomorrow.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder