[CLOSED] Tooltip vs touch screen

[CLOSED] Tooltip vs touch screen

Tooltip don't work on a PC with touch screen. The item must be focused (clicked) to show the tooltip.

It's possible to reproduce the issue on: https://examples3.ext.net/#/Miscella...Tips/Overview/

Tested on Vaio Ultrabook, model SVT151A11L.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Daniil; Mar 03, 2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hello Rapael!

You are saying that a laptop with touch screen, even if you take the mouse over the control, the tooltips are not shown?

Or are you just saying that touch screen's proximity sensor should trigger it? So as if you approximate the magnetic pen to the screen, it activates the tooltips?..

You know, tooltips are a paradigm used for mouse-driven interfaces. Building an interface for touch devices and tooltips will imply in a very different trigger to show the tooltip (like focus, and not moseOver or Hover or MouseIn-MouseOut).

I don't think ExtJS has a touch-friendly implementation of ToolTips. I might be wrong though.

Give this a read, it might be interesting for you: Tooltips in the era of Touch.

Yes, there are alternatives, but they are no longer the same approach of hover with mouse. It involves dragging, or changing how to interact with the component (like show tooltip on click/tap a label or static icon).

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Check this Sencha ExtJS 5.1 example (its the same from ours): QuickTips example. I accessed it from the 5.1 examples directory (Miscellaneous, QuickTips). Definetly, they did not review tooltips to (out of the box, at least) adequate themselves to the touch paradigm.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, I tested both examples with my android phone's browser, so 100% touch interface.
    Last edited by fabricio.murta; Feb 15, 2015 at 6:20 PM.
    Fabrício Murta
    Developer & Support Expert
    You are saying that a laptop with touch screen, even if you take the mouse over the control, the tooltips are not shown?
    You know, tooltips are a paradigm used for mouse-driven interfaces. Building an interface for touch devices and tooltips will imply in a very different trigger to show the tooltip (like focus, and not moseOver or Hover or MouseIn-MouseOut).
    Answer
    Tooltip don't work on a PC with touch screen
    Tested on Vaio Ultrabook, model SVT151A11L.

EDIT: Check this Sencha ExtJS 5.1 example (its the same from ours): QuickTips example. I accessed it from the 5.1 examples directory (Miscellaneous, QuickTips). Definetly, they did not review tooltips to (out of the box, at least) adequate themselves to the touch paradigm.
    EDIT2: Forgot to mention, I tested both examples with my android phone's browser, so 100% touch interface.
    In my opinion it works as expeceted on tablets and on smart phones.

I reported to sencha, once i get an asnswer from them i will update this thread.
    Last edited by RCN; Feb 15, 2015 at 9:42 PM.
    Hello Raphael,

Has Sencha answered something?

Could you, please, provide a link to the forum thread?
    Could you, please, provide a link to the forum thread?
    http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?298137
    There is no a big feedback from Sencha.

By the way, has the threads been moved from Bugs to Q&A? Or you initially started in Q&A?
    There is no a big feedback from Sencha.
    Yes. Their support in my opinion is a bit inefficient.

By the way, has the threads been moved from Bugs to Q&A? Or you initially started in Q&A?
    Q&A.

I found how to overcome the issue. Later today i will update this thread with the solution. It may help anyone that face the same issue.

Daniil, if you agree. Please mark this thread as closed.
    Last edited by Daniil; Mar 03, 2015 at 11:04 AM.