[OPEN] [#641] System.OutOfMemoryException with Ext.NET 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @Daniil,

My understanding is that this exception is ... rogue. FWIW, here is how it just happened to me:

1. In VS 2012, opened previously (a couple of days ago) created WebForms projects with Ext.Net 3 installed via NuGet by typing Install-Package Ext.Net.
    2. Added a new WebForm and copied and pasted the GridPanel FilterHeader Remote example files (one aspx and one cs file).
    3. Right-clicked on the newly added aspx page and Set It As Start Page.
    4. Run the project in Debug using IE 11 (in Windows 7)
    5. OutOfMemory exception thrown.
    6. Re-run the project in Debug using Firefox (Windows 7)
    7. OutOfMemory exception thrown.
    8. Restarted VS 2012.
    9. Re-run the project in Debug using both IE 11 and Firefox. Business as usual.
    10. Repeated the same steps from scratch. The problem cannot be reproduced.
    Last edited by Dimitris; Jan 15, 2015 at 8:17 AM.
    I installed 5 times and every time I encountered the same error, including shut down, reboot, and close and reopen vs2013 ultimate.
    Somehow we still cannot reproduce it consistently. We were able to reproduce it a few times, but we could not reproduce it, at least, two times in a row.

Anyways, there is a problem and we are trying to address that. Create an Issue - System.OutOfMemoryException with Ext.NET 3.

As far as we cannot reproduce it consistently, it is really difficult to investigate the problem in details and determine the reason. We can only assume.

One (and the only one at the moment) of our assumptions is the Ext.Net.dll size. It is too big now and it might be a reason of the exception. So, we created an Issue - Decrease Ext.Net.dll size.

I've just committed the revision #6256 to the SVN trunk. It goes to the 3.1.0 beta release.

Removed all the embedded resources that are not required to be embedded.

The dll size has been decreased drastically. Before Ext.Net.dll was ~126 MB (built in the default Debug mode), now it is ~ 58 MB.

Besides the fact that this decrease is very worth by itself, we really hope that it helps get rid of System.OutOfMemoryException.

Please let us know if you are able to reproduce the Exception with the sources from SVN trunk or with Ext.NET 3.1.0 beta that we are planning to release in January or early in February.
    The out of memory exception mostly releated with size of dll but it only occurs when handlers and modules both registered with old and new style at the same time in web.config..

If you are using IIS7+ and integrated application pool then register modules and handler only in system.webserver node and remove or comment above lines from web.config. OutOfMemory exception disappears

<system.web>
        <!--<httpHandlers>
          <add path="*/ext.axd" verb="*" type="Ext.Net.ResourceHandler" validate="false" />
        </httpHandlers>
        <httpModules>
          <add name="DirectRequestModule" type="Ext.Net.DirectRequestModule, Ext.Net" />
        </httpModules>-->
      </system.web>
    Hi @neaplus,

Thank you for sharing that information!

Just to clarify - do you mean that you were able to reproduce the problem consistently, but the problem has been totally gone when you changed Web.config? It might be something interesting for Microsoft.
    Last edited by Daniil; Jan 19, 2015 at 6:52 PM.
    Hi @Daniil,

When i create fresh empty mvc5 project with visual studio 2013 and install ext.net 3 with nuget packages than starting project gives Out of Memory exception. I was getting same exception sometimes with Ext.Net 2.5 with iis express. But exception occurs at first hit cold start of vs project and iis express when edit and continue option disabled from project settings.

I never seen that exception with IIS server on Windows Server. Also both Cassini and IISExpress runs as 32 bit by default on 64 bit windows. So if you change registry parameter of IIS express that run as 64 bit than out of exception completely disappears.

IIS Express run as 64bit
    reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\WebProjects /v Use64BitIISExpress /t REG_DWORD /d 1
    Thank you for sharing all this information! It is nice to be aware.

Do you not want to report it to Microsoft? Especially, the issue with having HTTP modules and handlers in both the sections in Web.config - <system.web> and <system.webServer>. There is potentially a problem in ASP.NET and/or IIS.
    As we already know that having HTTP handlers and modules defined in both the sections - <system.web> and <system.webServer> - might cause an OutOfMemoryException, it might be a reason of another issue as well - our HTTP handler stops working. Here is the post with all the details.

It looks like, at least, that we should remove or comment out the definitions of HTTP handlers and modules for IIS 6 in our Web.configs. Created an Issue:
    https://github.com/extnet/Ext.NET/issues/650
    Last edited by Daniil; Jan 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM.
    As we already know that having HTTP handlers and modules defined in both the sections - <system.web> and <system.webServer> - might cause an OutOfMemoryException, it might be a reason of another issue as well - our HTTP handler stops working. Here is the post with all the details.

It looks like, at least, that we should remove or comment out the definitions of HTTP handlers and modules for IIS 6 in our Web.configs. Created an Issue:
    https://github.com/extnet/Ext.NET/issues/650
    Once we tried to remove <system.web> <httpHandlers> we encountered a bug - ResourceHandler's HasHandler() method doesn't check a Web.config's <system.webServer> <handlers> section. Already fixed in SVN for all the versions - 1, 2 and 3.

This out of memory exception has made the product unusable for me

I am having a VERY serious issue. 9 out of 10 times when I run my project I get the out of memory exception reported in this thread.

I can't even debug my project anymore. When I deploy my code to an IIS7.5 server it works fine. I think it has to to with IIS8 Express in Visual Studio 2013.

I commented out the web.config lines indicated and also downloaded the dramatically reduced size dll from svn (I am a paying customer with active support).

I really need some help because development has come to a halt due to the inability to run the code I write in debug mode.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast