GridPanel does not cycle focus properly to next cell on pressing Tab

GridPanel does not cycle focus properly to next cell on pressing Tab

I though that either I was doing something wrong (setting incorrect Properties), or this was some bug with Coolite. However, I have verified this problem to exist with ExtJs itself.

Please use the following link to verify this problem:
    http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples...edit-grid.html

How to reproduce:
    1) Click on 1st column of any row. The cell enters edit mode.
    2) Press Tab. The second column (having ComboBox) as the editor gains focus.
    3) Just change the text in the combo somehow by pressing any key. Let's say, yiu press backspace.
    4) Again press Tab.

What was expected:
    The next cell in same row should have gained focus.

What happened:
    Focus shifts to the first focusable element on the page.

This is really impacting the data-entry performance where I am using Grid Panels to allow user enter large amounts of data, as he needs to use the Mouse to select next cell where this could have been accomplished by using Keyboard alone.

I thought of finding the currently editing cell of GridPanel in ComboBox's SpecialKey listener, and then manually set the next cell to be in edit mode. However, I could not find the appropriate functions to perform this task.

Is there a solution available for this problem? If no, can somebody help me figure out how to implement the approach I have suggested above?

RE: GridPanel does not cycle focus properly to next cell on pressing Tab

Hi,

The probblem with combo is fixed already (version in svn works correctly). There is problem with Chrome only (we are working on it)

Hi vlad, thanx for the reply. This problem is not only for Chrome. I am having the same problem with both IE & FF also.
    Can you post the code from the svn??

More importantly, I need a part of the solution I suggested at other places also. I need to find the currently editable cell (the current cell) of the GridPanel. I could not find the function or documentation for this. Can you tell me any way to find out the current GridPanel cell in edit mode (its row & col no)??

I'm having exactly the same problem. Any TriggerField or ComboBox placed as editor in a GridPanel causes the focus cycle to stop. I can't get the editing focus to jump to the next cell if the previous is a triggerfield.

My users are giving me hell because of this :( Any solution available?

I'm having this issue with IE7, IE8 and FF3. Haven't tried with other browsers.

Having got no suitable reply from the Coolite or ExtJs team (I asked this question there also: http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78625, I sat upon to accomplish this task myself.

I tried to handle Tab and Enter keys myself in the SpecialKey event of the configured editors. However, there was almost always an error either from Coolite or GridPanel on handling any these 2 keys manually, if I changed the Editable cell in the event.

There was no option but to look out for another key combination. I choose Ctrl+Right. I have created client-side plugin for GridPanel & server-side plugin class to be used in ASP.NET markup.

The 2 are attached with this post. Just put them in your website directory (remember the server-side control file should go to App_Code), register the control in your markup as:

<% Register Namespace="Controls" TagPrefix="c1" %>

Then put this inside Plugins in your GridPanel markup:
    <c1:EditableGridPanel runat="server" />

That's it. You should be able to cycle through cells by pressing Ctrl+Right key, no matter which Editor is in use. What's more, pressing Ctlr+Right on the last cell in a row automatically creates a new row &amp; puts its 1st cell in Edit Mode.