ScriptManager - always including ext-all.js. Want ext-core.js

ScriptManager - always including ext-all.js. Want ext-core.js

Hi,

I have a page with just a tooltip on it (at the moment).

The size of the included javascript thought is around 800KB.

I am using the script manager, with resources=embedded. I am in release mode.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of javascript rendered? I was hoping that only the script required would be sent / rendered to the page? I would like to move away from the overly bloated asp.net ajax.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Richard

RE: ScriptManager - always including ext-all.js. Want ext-core.js

Hi Richard,

I have a page with just a tooltip on it (at the moment).

The Toolkit is not really well suited for a Page with a single Tooltip rendered. It will work perfectly well, but as you noted, you're bringing down a lot of resources for something so simple.

The size of the included javascript thought is around 800KB.

I think you might be looking at the uncompressed and/or debug versions of the .js files. By default the .js files should be sent in a minified and gzip compressed mode which should reduce the size by ~70%. The script files should also be caching properly in the client and page reloads should not re-request nor re-download the same files.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of javascript rendered? I was hoping that only the script required would be sent / rendered to the page?

The only inline script rendered to the page is the absolute minimum required to initialize the controls and data. The initialization script is very compact.

We made the decision to group the required JavaScript classes includes into three separate .js downloads:

1. ExtJS base - The base functionality
    2. Coolite Core - Includes mostly User Extensions to the main ExtJS base library
    3. Coolite Data - Data related functionality for GridPanel, Stores, etc.

By default, the Coolite Data library is not included unless you render a Data related control.

With the v1.0 release we're planning to include functionality to allow for further combining and configuration of the .js resource files as well as potentially break apart the .js resource files to exclude unused classes. That should help reduce some weight and further improve performance.

Hope this helps.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

RE: ScriptManager - always including ext-all.js. Want ext-core.js

Thanks for your answer.

Some / most of my pages would just have a menu / tooltips and maybe some other little things on it.

Being able to keep the javascript low would be really helpful. Whilst lots of people have broadband, a load of other people in other countries (south america or whatever) are still using dial-up, etc. So, i am trying to keep an eye on those people.

I will have a look at 1.0 to see if it suits.

Thanks - great library.

Richard