NOTICE: EXT.NET Pricing and Licensing Change

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My thinking is Sencha and EXT.Net tow different company and EXT.Net use a commercial product of Sencha to produce their(EXT.Net's) own product.Then why EXT.Net's price and license conditions depends on Sencha?after all 3500 USD is to high for many developers.
    Ext.NET and Sencha are two different and independent companies. Ext.NET is the official .NET OEM Partner for Sencha. This gives us rights to bundle the Sencha Ext JS framework with Ext.NET and sell under a commercial license.

For each Ext.NET license we sell, a portion of the sales fee is paid to Sencha.

Sencha has decided to no longer offer single developer Ext JS licenses, and because of that we no longer have the option to bundle (resell) in Ext.NET.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Hi All,
    I just ran accross this thread, and wanted to say a word on it : Ext.Net will now be much more expansive than other stuff, like telerick or devexpress : for $3500 with telerick or devexpress you get a full pack, including not only ASP, but also WPF, WinForms and so on... and using devexpress XAF, you even can create cross platform projects... for less than $3500 ...

I think it is a very bad news, not only for me but for ext.net too, because number of users will decrease.

Considering there a no "MAJOR" or "MUST HAVE" changes between v2 and 3 (tablet support maybe...)... why upgrading, especially at this cost ?

Have a nice day.
    I realize this is not you guys driving this decision, but Sencha just priced out independent contractors from building small apps for their customers with this tech as well as prototyping start-ups. Had this happened when I initially begun working with Ext.Net, I would have steered away from participation in the betas. I still hoped to take some time to write a blog on how to make Ext.net a single-page refresh solution with my extensions (as a way to promote the technology) but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that referencing the latest version anymore.
    Also, there seems to me, there is another option for Ext.Net. Though Sencha is making this decision, it does not mean you have to. Buying a single developer license can still be based on a 5 pack from Sencha and a single-user license from Ext.Net.

[Sencha Base 5 User Cost] + [# of Ext.Net Licenses] x [Base Ext.Net License Cost] = [Price]

I realize that may skew pricing for a single user higher because they'd be covering 5 licenses from Sencha, and maybe add a little confusion, but it is viable consideration to support your single-user clients or keep expenses down for those just considering Ext.Net for the first time.

Just a thought.
    Wow crazy day.. ok so here is my question.

We purchased our update in June of this past year because you were having a "deal" that would allow us to upgrade to 3.0. (been using ext since 1.x). So we took advantage of that... does that now mean we will not have a license for the 3.x version when it's released? Are we required to pay more now to get that new license? We understand this isn't your fault, I'm just trying to get information ready so I can deliver it to my manager..

Thanks
    I realize this is not you guys driving this decision, but Sencha just priced out independent contractors from building small apps for their customers with this tech as well as prototyping start-ups.
    Yes, agreed. It is a very valid point.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Also, there seems to me, there is another option for Ext.Net. Though Sencha is making this decision, it does not mean you have to. Buying a single developer license can still be based on a 5 pack from Sencha and a single-user license from Ext.Net.

[Sencha Base 5 User Cost] + [# of Ext.Net Licenses] x [Base Ext.Net License Cost] = [Price]

I realize that may skew pricing for a single user higher because they'd be covering 5 licenses from Sencha, and maybe add a little confusion, but it is viable consideration to support your single-user clients or keep expenses down for those just considering Ext.Net for the first time.

Just a thought.
    I wish there was a better solution. Believe me I've tried to find it. We have a good working relationship with Sencha, and solid OEM agreements in place, but there's just no wiggle room on this one. Sencha has decided this change is in their best interest, and we have to work with that decision.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Wow crazy day.. ok so here is my question.

We purchased our update in June of this past year because you were having a "deal" that would allow us to upgrade to 3.0. (been using ext since 1.x). So we took advantage of that... does that now mean we will not have a license for the 3.x version when it's released? Are we required to pay more now to get that new license? We understand this isn't your fault, I'm just trying to get information ready so I can deliver it to my manager..

Thanks
    @ljankowski - I have the email you also sent, and will follow up with a response to that email right away.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Red flag!!

So this move by sencha says so many things

1. They are in trouble, financially
    2. The lack of reponses in this thread is a bad thing, can only mean your active user base is not big, and this move will make it even smaller, as it has been said small projects can't cover the cost! .. and what about future cost when they only sell a min of 10 rather than 5. Trust has gone.
    3. ..... .NET OEM agreement etc etc. They don't care about you else they would allow you to offer your own terms.
    4. Last time I checked extjs is under the GNU
    http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs/licensing/
    ... everyone who's love the framework but not the cost "fork it"?

Don't get me wrong I love the framework and renewed my support contact and you guys are always very helpful, but sencha is going to kill your business. Few hundred $ all happy to pay and not think about it to much, few thousand $ were all going to talk about options a lot more.

My, company cannot now justify using the framework for anymore project, and will be sticking at version 2 for current ones.
    Hi @OriCoder,

Don't get me wrong I love the framework and renewed my support contact and you guys are always very helpful, but sencha is going to kill your business.
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll just provide a brief response right now, although let me know if you want a detailed response to your four points above and I'll do my best to answer.

Ext.NET is in great shape financially and we've long had contingency plans for this type of scenario. We're going to be fine. We are growing and desperately trying to hire some new people.

My, company cannot now justify using the framework for anymore project, and will be sticking at version 2 for current ones.
    No problem. I understand the upgrade is probably coming at an inconvenient time for most. I wish there was a better option.

Please keep the following statements in mind:

1. We cannot upgrade your license after Dec 31, 2014.
    2. We cannot sell Single Developer licenses after Dec 31, 2014.
    3. We are probably not going to release another major version (i.e. Ext.NET 4.0) for a long time. At least two years, maybe longer.
    4. Two years before the next major release is a long time, and a lot can happen.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Dec 23, 2014 at 2:49 PM.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast