License Clarifications

License Clarifications

Hi,

I'm working on an assessments website where users will get to take an assessment and get results. Users will have to pay for certain features on the website, to help fund development.

We will not be distributing/selling code in any form.

Can I use the community edition for this?

Thanks & God bless,

-Suraj

RE: License Clarifications

stringo0 (8/13/2009) Hi,

I'm working on an assessments website where users will get to take an assessment and get results. Users will have to pay for certain features on the website, to help fund development.

Thanks & God bless,

-Suraj
    Hi Suraj,

If your application is available to external users, we DO consider that "distribution".

If your application is available to only internal users, for example personal use, or for use exclusively within an organization, we DO NOT consider that "distribution".

As part of our commitment to the open-source community and the Community Edition License (GPL 3.0), we grant you rights to use, redistribute and modify the source code for the software. If you are using the Community License and your application is externally facing, you also grant your users those same rights to use, redistribute and modify the source-code for your software.

The Community License does not make any distinction between Commercial vs Non-Commercial use. Or For-Profit vs Non-Profit use.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you require any further clarification and I'll be more than happy to assist.
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Apr 19, 2016 at 5:21 PM.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Thanks for the info.

God bless,

-Suraj

geoffrey.mcgill (8/13/2009)
    stringo0 (8/13/2009) Hi,

Thanks & God bless,

-Suraj
    Hi Suraj,

If your application is available to only internal users, for example personal use, or for use exclusively within an organization, we DO NOT consider that "distribution".

As part of our commitment to the open-source community and the Community Edition License (GPL 3.0), we grant you rights to use, redistribute and modify the source code for the software. If you are using the Community License and your application is externally facing, you also grant your users those same rights to use, redistribute and modify the source-code for your software.

The Community License does not make any distinction between Commercial vs Non-Commercial use. Or For-Profit vs Non-Profit use.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you require any further clarification and I'll be more than happy to assist.
    Sorry but I think you are wrong. I recommend you to re-read the GPL again. A distribution is not something defined by your own terms. GPL basically states that who gets your binary should be given the source as well. It is crystal clear as that. By giving your software with GPL you have accepted this fact.

Onur
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Apr 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM.

Also please check this:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....actingRemotely

It is AGPL that restricts the situation as you mentioned not GPL.

Basically AGPL == GPLv3 + extra restrictions added to section 7
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Apr 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM.

reverseblade (8/13/2009)
    geoffrey.mcgill (8/13/2009)
    stringo0 (8/13/2009) Hi,

Thanks & God bless,

-Suraj
    Hi Suraj,

If your application is available to external users, we DO consider that "distribution".

Sorry but I think you are wrong. I recommend you to re-read the GPL again. A distribution is not something defined by your own terms. GPL basically states that who gets your binary should be given the source as well. It is crystal clear as that. By giving your software with GPL you have accepted this fact.

Onur
    Hold on a second... are you allowed to use both the terms "basically" and "crystal clear" when dealing with GPL3?

i kid, i kid

Yes, agreed. The AGPL is probably a better choice for the Toolkit. Maybe that's what we'll have to move to with the server-side components. I'll do some research and get back to you.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Apr 19, 2016 at 5:28 PM.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder