Coolite v1 release date

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

RE: Coolite v1 release date

Telerik and ExtJS aren't even the same platform. ExtJS is javascript based with the ability to call the server with Ajax. Coolite is a wrapper (and some very good added functionality) to ExtJS that allows it to work with ASP.NET framework and callbacks (it doesn't use or require AJAX.NET at all).

Telerik are ASP.NET custom controls that work natively with the ASP.NET framework with SOME Javascript.

Look at ExtJS/Coolite has heavy on the Javascript, lighter on the ASP.NET. While Telerik is heavy on the ASP.NET, lighter on the Javascript.

We have used Telerik, Infragistics, and now ExtJS (with Coolite). ExtJS/Coolite is hands-down the best of them all. The easiest of them all and the fastest to get things implemented into the ExtJS/Coolite framework. Not to mention, cheaper.

Just my two bits...

another two bits,

State is right. This is a competely different technology. Essentially, Coolite renders ExtJS Javascript from ASP.NET server controls. To see this, do a view source on their examples then cut-n-paste the minified ExtJS code into http://jsbeautifier.org/ (a handy debugging technique Geoffrey taught me). A pure Coolite-page has almost no HTML, it is essentially all JS scripts and CSS.

As an ASP.NET developer, when I first looked at ExtJS I loved what it could do (it is the best RIA technogy out there), but the prospect of coding in javascript was like coding in assembly, or worse VB. And there was no integration with Visual Studion or ASP.NET.

Then I found Coolite, at the time around version 0.7. Not only do they emit the ExtJs from ASP.NET server controls, but they also add some usefull extensions to ExtJS (which is very extensible). They have also provided responsive and quality support through this pre-release phase.

That all said, there is still a learning curve due the fact that it works fundamently differently than Telerik, Infragistics, and the rest. And I think we all would agree that better documentation would be extremely usefully for getting up this curve more quickly.

Also, since Coolite is built on ExtJS, they are largely limited by what that technology can do. The other side of this is that they are able to quickly bring the new ExtJS features to the ASP.NET market as they did reciently when ExtJS released their 3.1.

If I sound like a fan, I am. But know what you are getting into. Its fundamentaly different technology than the other ASP.NET packages out there.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">We understand those are different technologies. Before we build a case why should we buy one but not the other we must test them and present our case why do we prefer coolite or telerik.

Our company has recently dropped the support for a 25 bulk license with Telerik and we are currently using MVC with jQuery. We are now evaluating the usage of Coolite with ASP.NET Forms and MVC to help speed up our development.

I'm an obvious fan-boy of Coolite but the day we dropped our Telerik support I celebrated with a few pints :)

Cheers,
    Timothy

I have to agree. The day we dropped Telerik and Infragistics (which, by the way, I think is WORSE than Telerik), I did a little dance in the office, too! I think both the Telerik and Infragistics controls are SO SO SO bloated. We were expecting SOME code bloat, but not as much as these controls created.

Stick a couple grids on an Infragisitcs page, and your up above 200k for total page size. The examples these companies provide are great for showing functionality, but when you get into to real world apps, we found out the hard way that they aren't very useful, especially if page size and render speed are important.

Hey, hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

We also converted from Telerik to Coolite and very happy with the change. However, I do want to point out that while the transferred page size is smaller with Coolite, the number of DOM elements can be much bigger after rendering. Since the DOM elements are created dynamically, we don't really notice unless you are looking at the rendered html in a debugger console. Simple controls are often wrapped with divs and more divs. Go ahead and take a look at the rendered DOM elements for a GridPanel. Each row is a separate table. Not trying to discourage anyone from using Coolite as I think it's a great framework. Telerik, Infragistics, ComponentOne, even Coolite....they are all limited by HTML and Javascript.

Speaking of reduceing the number of libraries, one advantage I found with Coolite is that I only have to render one script manager / js library to the client. I was impressed that I was able to go straight from Ext.Ajax to .Net.WCF and back, and it eaisly marshaled pretty complex data without the need of any ms.ajax libraries.

I love Coolite too, but I wish there was a way to override the "ice blue" theme embedded in everything, if custom themes/colors could be adopted, this would be great for v1.

Hi,

Here is theme generator. Generated theme can be easly applied to an application (just add css file)
    http://playground.ideashs.com/themescolor/

Also here is a link to the ExtJS forum topic related with that generator
    http://www.extjs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66446

Hi all,

Thanks for the above opinions. My company is yet to decide between Coolite, Telerik and Devexpress.

http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php...24422-7-1.aspx

Besides, how about dynamic interface? Eg. the screen settings (controls) are stored in database and Coolite will generate the interface based on the settings, is that achievable in v1 release?

Thanks.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast