Coolite v1 release date

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Coolite v1 release date

I know there have been posts about this in the past, but do you have an estimate as to when version 1 of Coolite should be released, as well as the associated documentation? Also, will it definitely be using ExtJS 3?

We are likely to be using Coolite in a large-scale project so would like to get an idea as to when version 1 will be available.

Thanks.

RE: Coolite v1 release date

Hi,

We have no time-frame for 1.0 release yet.
    Yes, 1.0 release will use ExtJS 3.0

Hi,

Do you have a rough estimate for v1, like 3 months, a year, more? We need to plan some of our things accordingly.

Regards,
    Tadeusz

Yea, I really need some kind of an estimate too.

Guys, if you look at the timeline... (you can search v0.5 in the forums) I've seen posts early as April and late as June... That puts them about 4-6 months, into next spring for 1.0 release in my guestimation.

The team works pretty fast, and it looks like they are adding lots of new https://examples2.ext.net/ daily.

I also share your frusterations/enthusiasm for a stable-release. Plus LOTS of documentation (more than just examples - actual syntax code - plus explanations of the classes, methods and properties, listeners, events, etc) So, I know what I am doing is going by the "standard". Many times I've found little tweaks or short-term fixes have helped resolve immediately, only to later cause me hours of agony.

I also wonder, since I am not from ExtJS background... but a C#/VB.NET background. How many others are like me? Who else has not used Ext before Coolite? I think the learning curve is much sharper for pure .NET developers than perhaps previous ExtJS developers.

We're using Coolite for a very huge project to hire students/professors. I've gone through a few hurdles and hit some milestones, it is worth the frusterations in the end.

--James
    U of Ottawa
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Feb 22, 2011 at 4:36 AM.

Hi James,

I've come from a similar background as yourself - I'm a C# web developer. I heard about ExtJS a while back but with it being purely JavaScript based I was a bit put off, however searching through the ExtJS forums I found a reference to the Coolite web site and have been using it since about version 0.7.

It is quite frustrating not having any detailed documentation yet, but by looking at the ExtJS API docs, their forums, the Coolite forums, Examples Explorer and by shear trial and error I've managed to get on quite well with it.

As you said - it's worth it in the end!

The Coolite team have done an amazing job so far, and I find the Coolite Toolkit really is a breath of fresh air compared to traditional web application programming.

Dan

Moving to Open Discussions forum.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

I to have been waiting and plan on getting a support license when 1.0 comes out. In version .7 I was struggling with complex structures and real word coding roadblocks. I stepped away from Coolite for a while now and decided to come back to the site to see how things were looking with the toolset.

I would like to see some 3 tier architecture example where you pass data back and forth from the UI to the BL/DL and Stored Procedures. Building large applications you need to make sure there is a re-usability factor.

just a thought.
    j

We have a very complex application using 3-tier architecture that is working very well with Coolite. There are a few examples of using the GridPanel with business objects. How you implement your DL should be independent of the UI layer. Maybe you can start a new thread with some of your coding roadblocks?

I posted a huge example of Coolite XML source view markup, if you search on my name/posts you can find it. The best way to handle 3-tiered approach, build data adapters (for stored procedures in Oracle in our case for our DAL) that inherit a base connection/data adapter that does the stored proc wrapper, etc. I also have this handy Parameter class in the DAL project, so I can build a generic list of Parameter to send between the DAL/BLL.

Then build your BLL (business logic layer) with validation, I use singleton class model with getters/setters a Validate() method that does business rules. Each singleton has a collection class (should be static in C# when I use that, but I chose not to in VB.NET for this project) and each collection class has Add/Find/Update/Delete methods that connect to the DAL data adapters.

Finally the UI/Coolite uses a hybrid of Store objects (JsonReader) using asp:ObjectDataSource for DataSourceID to connect to the BLL objects. Just make sure you tell the compiler that your collection classes are [DataObject] (or whatever the VB.NET syntax is lol)

That is the most up to date way of doing things in my opinion using .NET 3.5 Visual Studio 2008, best of luck!
    --James
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast