UpdatePanel in a BorderLayout

UpdatePanel in a BorderLayout

*Question - is this page structure possible yet:

ViewPort -> Border Layout -> Center Region -> Update Panel -> UserControl

So, what I'm trying to accomplish is a BorderLayout where the header and footer don't refresh. *The inner content is loaded via a UserControl that I'm adding to the page at Run-time. *(In effect, the whole site is hosted in the Default.aspx) *Basically, I will navigate the center panel by loading different controls at run-time, and the center region is always refreshed via DHTML.

I gave it a couple half-hearted shots, but nothing panned out. *I didn't really dig deep to see what I could do but I figured I'd find out if it was theoretically possible yet - especially with the squishyness of the updatepanel stuff right now - before I spent a ton of time on it.

thx
    D

RE: UpdatePanel in a BorderLayout

Hi Dave,

The version 0.6 release includes improved support for the <asp:UpdatePanel> so you might want to grab the latest bits and give this another try.

I would be hesitant to use this approach of loading usercontrol after usercontrol via the <asp:UpdatePanel>, but "theoretically" it should work fine.

When the Toolkit controls are updated during an UpdatePanel refresh, the controls are first destroyed in the DOM, then recreated, but I would keep an eye on the memory usage within the browser. I'm not really sure what kind of "ASP.NET AJAX" DOM junk the UpdatePanel would leave laying around on each refresh.

Typically the UpdatePanel has never been used for this kind of "single page" application, so I'm not sure how much testing has been done by people on the interwebs re: the memory consumption of each refresh (whether it includes extjs or not).

Keep us updated with your progress.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

*Yeah, I don't know if I'll stick with it either - I might just go for iframes.

However, if I wrap my content in the center in an UpdatePanel, it "works", but there isn't any new script rendered back to create my new extjs objects. *What do I have to do to get that script to render back appropriately to have the content show up in the panel?

thx
    D

*Oh, and I don't neccessarily want to use an update panel either - if there are other methods, I'm all ears. *Basically, I have a pretty complicated page layout and I only want to update the parts of the page that really need to be updated. *I'm even considering writing my own functions to do this with Ext itself - but I'm pressed for time and don't want to spend a lot of time screwing around with it to get it working properly.

D