Is Ext.Net dead?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Then why don't you enlighten me and the community as to what version of Ext JS you guys are using.
    Vladimir pointed me to the following link: http://www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?264700
    If you read that page, you'll see the following:

The Commercial and GPL downloads are available here:

http://cdn.sencha.com/ext/commercial...commercial.zip
    http://cdn.sencha.com/ext/gpl/ext-4.2.1-gpl.zip

The commercial link is out of the question because you previously admitted you only use public Ext JS releases.
    GPL means General Public License, so I've concluded that you guys are using ext-4.2.1-gpl.zip.
    Technically speaking, you're shipping a CUSTOM Ext JS version with Ext.NET. This is because you add your own bug fixes to Ext JS.

Moreover, branching someone else's code, changing it (bugs, what whatever), than distributing it to your clients as being the original (that is what you do on your website), is a very bad programming practice. Any junior software developer should be able to tell you that.

So, the claim on your website that Ext.NET supports Sencha Ext JS 4.2.1 is a bit dishonest: any developer that reads that will assume you support the official Sencha release.
    I would like to suggest inform your clients on your website as to what version of Ext JS you use (public, commercial, custom, ...etc).

If you think I've misrepresented your development process, please don't hesitate to outline it in your own words.

I'm sure you think: why does he care what version we use? Well, for several reasons:
    1. Division of responsibility. If I find a bug in your Ext JS, who do I call for support? You, Sencha?
    2. The subsequent versions to Ext JS 4.2.1 (4.2.2 & 4.2.3) have a lot of official improvements and bug fixes. As an example 4.2.3 has more than 200 bug fixes.
    3. If I want to use some of the improvements available only on the latest Ext JS releases, in addition to your Ext JS lib, I'll have to also load those as well.

One more thing Geoffrey. You mention in an earlier reply:

"I just checked Svn and we've made 60+ commits (mostly Ext JS bug fixes) to the main /trunk/ since the 2.5.2 release, including hitting our 6000th Svn commit earlier today."

Well this is nice and dandy, but how are we supposed to know about it? I don't see any announcement on your website!
    Last edited by eugen; Sep 28, 2014 at 1:58 AM.
    Then why don't you enlighten me and the community as to what version of Ext JS you guys are using.
    The current Ext.NET 2.5.2 release includes Ext JS 4.2.1 commercial release.

We only include Ext JS commercial releases in Ext.NET.

The actual Ext JS source files that are included (and distributed) in Ext.NET are acquired directly from the Sencha customer portal. The Ext JS commercial release is provided to us as a .zip package.

As mentioned previously, Ext.NET has nothing to do the Ext JS GPL releases.

The commercial link is out of the question because you previously admitted you only use public Ext JS releases.
    It appears you're reading the word "public" and making the assumption that means GPL. It does not.

Sencha distributes Ext JS commercial in two flavours:

1. Public - Direct links to download .zip package and all files added to Sencha CDN
    2. Private - .zip packages only available to Sencha support subscribers

GPL means General Public License, so I've concluded that you guys are using ext-4.2.1-gpl.zip.
    This would be an incorrect conclusion to make. You're jumping to conclusions based on your assumptions.

Technically speaking, you're shipping a CUSTOM Ext JS version with Ext.NET. This is because you add your own bug fixes to Ext JS.
    Incorrect. We do not directly modify the Ext JS source in any way. Any bug fixes are added in Ext.NET using the Sencha recommended methodology of extensions and overrides.

Moreover, branching someone else's code, changing it (bugs, what whatever), than distributing it to your clients as being the original (that is what you do on your website), is a very bad programming practice. Any junior software developer should be able to tell you that.
    You're making another series of assumptions here, then getting all preachy on us.

We do not branch Ext JS code. We do not change the Ext JS source code. The Ext JS source files distributed with Ext.NET are the original Ext JS commercial source files.

So, the claim on your website that Ext.NET supports Sencha Ext JS 4.2.1 is a bit dishonest: any developer that reads that will assume you support the official Sencha release.
    I'm not sure where we've ever been dishonest? We *do* include (and support) the official Sencha Ext JS release. Where does it say otherwise?

I would like to suggest inform your clients on your website as to what version of Ext JS you use (public, commercial, custom, ...etc).
    I've added the word "commercial" to the Ext JS version noted on the download page.

I will point out that more clarification regarding the commercial license is included in the Store FAQ.

Is a separate license to the Sencha Ext JS JavaScript library required?

No. The Ext.NET Pro license includes the right to use the Sencha Ext JS library as a part of Ext.NET, subject to the terms of the License Agreement. You do not require a separate Sencha Ext JS Commercial License to use Ext.NET, as rights are included to use Ext JS in commercial projects when used in conjunction with Ext.NET Pro.

The current release of Ext JS included with each release of Ext.NET is outlined on the download page.

I'm sure you think: why does he care what version we use? Well, for several reasons:
    1. Division of responsibility. If I find a bug in your Ext JS, who do I call for support? You, Sencha?
    If an Ext.NET user has an issue with Ext.NET or Ext JS, they always contact us first for support. You're also stating "your Ext JS", and I'll point out again that "our Ext JS" is "the" Ext JS release. In the case of the current Ext.NET 2.5.2 release it is Ext JS 4.2.1.

Of course, if you have questions about Ext JS you're free to contact Sencha support too. If you feel it's necessary.

2. The subsequent versions to Ext JS 4.2.1 (4.2.2 & 4.2.3) have a lot of official improvements and bug fixes. As an example 4.2.3 has more than 200 bug fixes.
    This statement is correct.

Just to clarify, neither Ext JS 4.2.2 nor 4.2.3 will be included in any future release of Ext.NET. Sencha prevents us from including these private releases in Ext.NET.

Sencha only publicly releases x.x.0 and x.x.1 builds. For example, 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 were released publicly, but 4.2.2 was private.

3. If I want to use some of the improvements available only on the latest Ext JS releases, in addition to your Ext JS lib, I'll have to also load those as well.
    You are free to do this, and if it's a point release (such as 4.2.3), "theoretically" it should be a drop in replacement, although obviously this has not been tested by Ext.NET.

If you actually try this, let us know if you run into any compatibility issues and we'll be happy to assist.

I hope this helps answer your questions and helps clears thing up for you.

I didn't respond in detail to each of your previous posts within this thread, but if there's something you would like directly addressed, just let me know.

Cheers.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12