[ADDED] [V0.8.1] Ability to define event handlers for all ajax requests in the ScriptManager

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

RE: [ADDED] [V0.8.1] Ability to define event handlers for all ajax requests in the ScriptManager

Brilliant. Thanks. Looking forward to 0.9 :)

RE: [ADDED] [V0.8.1] Ability to define event handlers for all ajax requests in the ScriptManager

Any updates on firing off a server side event before the response is sent to client? I need to log each server side error that occurs. Thanks!

jchau (6/29/2009)Any updates on firing off a server side event before the response is sent to client? I need to log each server side error that occurs. Thanks!
    How about using an AjaxMethod?

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hmm...I am not sure if an AjaxMethod is the ideal solution here because I will be incurring an unnecessary server hit. It seems kind of silly for server to send error message to client, then client sent back exact error message to server. Ideally, I want to log the full detailed error on the server side and send back just a friendly error message to the client.

The funny thing is that global error handling works fine for AjaxEvents. I am able to trap the error and send back a custom response and status code. It just wont work for AjaxMethods.

Hi,

I just realized you have made these listeners available in 0.8.1, so I downloaded it and tried it out. Works great.

Just one problem: it doesn't seem to work with AjaxMethods.

E.g. in C# code-behind:

[AjaxMethod]
            public static bool DoSomething()
            {
                return WasItDone();
            }
    And in ASP.NET:

<ext:ToolbarButton ID="btnId" runat="server" Text="Test this">
                <Listeners>
                    <Click Handler="My.Code.DoSomething({
                        success : mySuccessHandler,
                        failure : myFailureHandler,
                        eventMask: { showMask: true, minDelay: 50, msg:'Getting...' }
                    });" />
                </Listeners>
            </ext:ToolbarButton>
    It may be my fault partly -- in the original request for this feature, I didn't clarify that I'd like it for AjaxMethods as well as Ajax Events.

Is there a possibility of reusing the same listeners for either ajax call approach?

The events will be fired for all Ajax requests, including AjaxEvents and AjaxMethod calls.

I added a couple AjaxMethod calls to the original sample.

Example

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="Coolite.Ext.Web" Namespace="Coolite.Ext.Web" TagPrefix="ext" %>

<script runat="server">
        protected void Button1_Click(object sender, AjaxEventArgs e)
        {
            Ext.Notification.Show(new Notification.Config
            {
                Title = "Button1_Click",
                AutoHide = false,
                Html = "Success!<br />" + DateTime.Now.ToString()
            });
        }

protected void Button2_Click(object sender, AjaxEventArgs e)
        {
            throw new ArgumentException("Invalid Arguments");
        }

[AjaxMethod]
        public void PopToast()
        {
            Ext.Notification.Show(new Notification.Config
            {
                Title = "AjaxMethod",
                AutoHide = false,
                Html = "Success!<br />" + DateTime.Now.ToString()
            });
        }

[AjaxMethod]
        public void ThrowException()
        {
            throw new ArgumentException("Invalid Arguments");
        }
    </script>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" 
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
    <head id="Head1" runat="server">
        <title>Coolite Toolkit Example</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <ext:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" AjaxMethodNamespace="CompanyX">
                <Listeners>
                    <BeforeAjaxRequest Handler="popToast('BeforeAjaxRequest', el, action);" />
                    <AjaxRequestComplete Handler="popToast('AjaxRequestComplete', el, action);" />
                    <AjaxRequestException Handler="popToast('AjaxRequestException', el, action);" />
                </Listeners>
            </ext:ScriptManager>

<script type="text/javascript">
                var popToast = function (title, el, action) {
                    Coolite.Ext.Notification.show({
                        title    : title,
                        autoHide : false, 
                        html     : String.format("control: {0}<br />action: {1}", el.id, action)
                    });
                };
            </script>

<ext:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Icon="Accept" Text="Before and Complete (AjaxEvent)">
                <AjaxEvents>
                    <Click OnEvent="Button1_Click" />
                </AjaxEvents>
            </ext:Button>

<ext:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Icon="Error" Text="Throw Exception (AjaxEvent)">
                <AjaxEvents>
                    <Click OnEvent="Button2_Click" />
                </AjaxEvents>

<hr />

<ext:Button ID="Button3" runat="server" Icon="Accept" Text="Before and Complete (AjaxMethod)">
                <Listeners>
                    <Click Handler="CompanyX.PopToast();" />
                </Listeners>

<ext:Button ID="Button4" runat="server" Icon="Error" Text="Throw Exception (AjaxMethod)">
                <Listeners>
                    <Click Handler="CompanyX.ThrowException();" />
                </Listeners>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    Hope this helps.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hi,

Thanks for the extra example. It's weird. In my case I see AjaxRequestComplete and AjaxRequestException listeners fire for an AjaxMethod, but not BeforeAjaxRequest (and that's the one I need to set the status bar!).

I tried your example locally and it works fine. I have tried to cut down my real solution but it is hard as there are lots of things in between (master templates, other JavaScript frameworks etc).

It must be a problem on my end. So, at the moment while I can't provide a test case to help reproduce the problem I will work on it further...

Took a while but I finally figured out what was causing my problem:

My AjaxMethod is declared as static. As soon as I take off static from my code it works.

I used your example and making the AjaxMethod into a static method also fails your example (though in your case I don't get anything back to the client from the server, where as in my case I do -- it all runs except only BeforeAjaxRequest doesn't fire. I didn't look at that further -- there was an error in Firebug console, which probably explains that).

So question is, should AjaxMethods not be static?

Hi,

We have fixed it. The fix will be available in 0.8.2 release

Fantastic! Do you have a rough idea when 0.8.2 will be released?

Thanks for your prompt responses. Really appreciated!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast