[CLOSED] Global handling of GridPanel RefreshData / AjaxMethods exceptions

[CLOSED] Global handling of GridPanel RefreshData / AjaxMethods exceptions

I know you guys made some changes to exception handling for v0.8 so I want to revisit an issue I have. I have global error handling code in Global.asax's Application_Error event. This is the fail safe event where ALL ASP.NET errors will eventually flow to. It's the preferred way to handle exceptions such as logging, redirecting, etc. Exceptions thrown during an AjaxEvent properly flows to that function. However, exceptions thrown during an AjaxMethod such as GridPanel's RefreshData or my own AjaxMethod do NOT flow to Global.asax.

I looked at your sample on exception handling and while it works for a single method, it is not ideal. If I want to give a custom message, I have to write code in the server event AND on the client side failure function. I do not want to write the same code over and over and over again every time I create an AjaxMethod or drop a grid onto a page. Currently, we have a lot of support issues with users seeing no data being returned in a grid due to a server exception. The exception is not Coolite's fault, but it is often hard to track down the issue because it is not hitting our global error handling code. To us, it's like the exception is being swallowed. To the user, it's like something may have went wrong but they are not sure. Did an error occur or is there really no data?

Is there a way to fire off an event that I can catch? Or set some global method to call when an exception occurs?

RE: [CLOSED] Global handling of GridPanel RefreshData / AjaxMethods exceptions

Hi,

I think we can add something like AjaxEventError event for ScriptManager (it will be raised if exception occurs during data bing or ajax method execution). We will implement it the other day

Hi Jacky,

We've added three new Listeners (BeforeAjaxRequest, AjaxRequestComplete, AjaxRequestException) to the ScriptManager.

See http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?3920#post15720

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Sorry for bringing this up but we really need a SERVER event to fire, not a client event. The client event is good too but it's doesn't really help us log the exceptions. There are alot of serverside variables we want to log to help us debug the exception later on. I have about 20 AjaxMethods on a page and I have to wrap each of them in a try...catch to log the exception. It's not ideal.

Hi,

We have add new property for ScriptManager

RethrowAjaxExceptions

if you set true then you should be able to catch exception in the Application_Error
    Please update from SVN and confirm