Internal Web Application Use Only that is co-located

Internal Web Application Use Only that is co-located

Hi Coolite Core Development Team,

I would like to verify if the Coolite Community Edition is applicable with my scenario, as I'm planning to develop a web application that will be for internal use by selected staff within our organization/company. That web application will be then hosted on a co-located datacenter (that is outside our premises), by which accessible via Internet and/or VPN. The web application is closed source and will never be distributed, as this is a proprietary application and for internal use only.

Can you please confirm if CE allows this scenerio? As much as possible we use open source or free solutions/components with our internal projects/applications.

Thank you very much in advance.

RE: Internal Web Application Use Only that is co-located

cooliter (5/30/2009)
    Hi Coolite Core Development Team,

I would like to verify if the Coolite Community Edition is applicable with my scenario, as I'm planning to develop a web application that will be for internal use by selected staff within our organization/company. That web application will be then hosted on a co-located datacenter (that is outside our premises), by which accessible via Internet and/or VPN. The web application is closed source and will never be distributed, as this is a proprietary application and for internal use only.

Can you please confirm if CE allows this scenerio? As much as possible we use open source or free solutions/components with our internal projects/applications.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Hi cooliter,

With the Community License (GPL 3.0) it's really just a matter of what's considered "distribution".

Based on your description above, the Community License sounds like a great solution. Using the software by persons within your organization (ie, company) is not considered distribution.

Transferring a copy of the software to an off-site contractor, or use of the system by any persons outside of the organization is considered distribution.

If your final software/system is used off-site (ie, at home) by employees of your organization, we would not consider that distribution.

If your final software/system is used off-site by contractors (or any other non-employees) of your organization,we would consider that distribution.

The License summary page includes brief overview of the Community License, see http://ext.net/license/.

The official GPL 3.0 FAQ is available at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

The full GPL 3.0 License text is available at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you require any further clarification and I'll be more than happy to assist.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

RE: Internal Web Application Use Only that is co-located

Hi Mr. McGill,

This definitely clears my doubt on using your Coolite Community Edition.

Keep up the good work and thank you very much!

Kindest regards.