I better way to dynamically load windows?

I better way to dynamically load windows?

So far, I'm not real happy with the side effects caused by using AutoLoad functionality to dynamically load other Coolite scripted pages within my application. Is there an alternative approach to loading Coolite content that is not initialized from the main application page? For example:

Main.aspx
    BorderLayout
    West
    TreePanel
    Center
    Panel
    (dynamically loaded page, based on node clicked in TreePanel)

The panel in the center would need to dynamically load other Coolite scripted pages. But, is there anyway for this NOT to be an IFrame?? I don't like the IFrame because it makes any modal window or context menu created inside of that IFrame, constrained to that IFrame. I don't like this. I want modal windows created from within the dynamically loaded center panel to have modality over the whole browser window, not just that IFrame.

RE: I better way to dynamically load windows?

For the v1.0 release we will be including better support for dynamically loading .ascx UserControls during an AjaxEvent/AjaxMethod which should help.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Wow, that seems a long way off considering how long its taking for v0.8. This is a real bummer right now.

Until then, what is the recommended approach to achieving what I'm trying to accomplish? I don't care of its messy, I just need to be able to dynamically load other Coolite scripted pages, but that are more easily accessible from the whole application and modal windows created inside the page has modality over whole browser window, not jut IFrame. is there currently no way to do that??

I don't have the opportunityto make a full sample right at the moment, but you can experiment with Mode="Merge" on the <AutoLoad> config.

One of the key issues with Merge Mode is you might/will have to manually manage the ID's closer. There will probably be conflicts.

With Merge Mode you also loose ability to "PostBack" make Ajax callbacks to the child page. I haven't tested AjaxMethods, but there's a chance they might work.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Just in case you are still interested, I have found a way to do this.

At the moment the only way I have found to do this is client side. All you need to do is use the Ext classes in the parent window such as below:

var win = new parent.window.Ext.Window({
                    title: 'Edit content',
                    layout: 'fit',
                    modal: 'true',
                    width: 300,
                    height: 300,
                    autoLoad: { showMask: true, mode: 'iframe', url: 'page.aspx' }
                });

win.show();
    From what I have found so far is that there are issues passing data to the new window. As again this will be another iframe its not that easy unless you can put it into the querystring. Also being an iframe means that you can't use session state to share data as I have found it starts a new session for each iframe (window).

I have yet to experiment with usercontrols but perhaps this will work?

Hope this helps.

I found the solution that works for me. Use ExtJs directly.

Hi dBasset,

It would be extremely helpful to others if you posted solutions that you have found for your own solutions....I noticed that you have had a lot of posts requesting, sometimes demanding responses.

It would be nice to give something back!