UpdatePanel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

UpdatePanel

Hello,

Just checking what the status of the UpdatePanel work is? I know it's more involved, but hoping it makes it before preview ;)

Cheers,
    Timothy

RE: UpdatePanel

No updates? :(

Cheers,
    Timothy

The UpdatePanel support is still being worked on. I'll update this thread when new code is available to test, which will be Sunday PM at the latest.*

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

I'm going to hold you to that time line! :)

Just kidding, let me know when completed, would be appreciated.

Geoffrey, would you be able to help me with some problems with this forum? I don't want to have to post about forum problems, perhaps email?

Cheers,
    Timothy

Hello Geoffrey,

How is this one working out?

Cheers,
    Timothy

I got part way through and discovered a show stopper. I'm working on it right now. This is still my abosolute #1 priority, but for the last 48 hours it's been 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

No problem Geoffrey, I know you got lots on your plate, I'm not making it any easier :)

I'll buy you a beer when you get this one sorted out!

Cheers,
    Timothy

Your beer is getting warm ;) How's this one going?

Cheers,
    Timothy

Hi Timothy, et al.

Some revisions to the Coolite Toolkit UpdatePanel support is starting to roll into SVN.

Please test if you have an opportunity.

There's still a problem if the UpdatePanels .Update() Method is called server-side.

Calling .Update() sets a private boolean field within the UpdatePanel to instruct an UpdatePanel, that would not have otherwise updated it's content, to switch gears and update it's content. This boolean flag is not accessible outside the UpdatePanel and there's appears to be no other way to determine if .Update() has been called until after the UpdatePanel renders... which I think is too late (or too messy) for us to deal with.

I have a simple idea on how to work-around, although it might involve the developer having to explicitly call a Method on the <ext:ScriptManager> and pass in the UpdatePanel whos .Update() method is being called on. Hope that makes sense.

The *really* disappointing thing is that there's several helpful Properties/Methods within the UpdatePanel that would have made our job much easier and less resource intensive, but they're all either marked as Private, Protected or Internal ... and ... there appears to be no reason to do so. I'm not entirely sure why a read-only property such as "RequiresUpdate" needs to be marked as "protected internal virtual". Why not "public virtual" Mr. Microsoft? I digress.

If you find scenarios where the Toolkit controls are failing with UpdatePanels, please create a new forum topic and include the most simplified code sample reproducing the problem as you can, and I will test and attempt to fix immediately.

I'm going back through the forums and testing existing code sample.

I should have another update shortly.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Awesome news, I will not be able to fully give it a good testing until Sunday.

Cheers,
    Timothy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast