General Questions and Comments

General Questions and Comments

First of all, let me say that this looks very good, but it was VERY hard to find searching the internet. Having said that, I have a few questions.

1. What is the motivation of Coolite? By that, I mean the direction this project plans to take in the future regarding Open/Closed Source, what things will be cost items vs what items will be no cost.

2. I downloaded the binaries, but there were no examples included despite the fact that there are examples on the website. Just from a developer productivity perspective, it would be nice to have VS projects ready to test and build upon than going through the process of discovery on first use.

However, question 1. is the most important, because it allows us to make our business decisions before we make a time comittment to developing with your fine tools.

Thank You.

RE: General Questions and Comments

Hi Dewey,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write.

1. The Coolite ASP.NET Toolkit is released under a dual license. Both a Commercial (fee) and Open-source (free) license option are available. The option to purchase a Commercial license will be available shortly.

The source code for all controls will be available to download shortly. Maybe with the 0.5 release. We've avoided releasing the source to this point because major architectual changes are still happening. Once things settle we'll be more than happy to open up the source Solution for download. Currently we do not obfuscate the Assembly, so any decompilation tools (like Reflector) work well if you want to poke around.

Very shortly we will also be offering paid support options at a very reasonable rate. Premium support options will include maximum initial response time, email support, SVN access, emergency hot-fit support, and telephone support.

The following pages may help provide a bit more information or clarification.
    http://www.ext.net/support/
    http://www.ext.net/license/

2. We plan to include a full example Visual Studio Solution with the 0.5 release (which *should* be available early April).

The next release will include the GridPanel and ViewPort controls with various layout options. Those two are the biggies and once released, the remainder of the framework (TreePanel, Menu, etc.) should fall into place shortly thereafter. Obviously we're working towards a solid version 1.0 release which will include full design-time and code-behind support for the complete Ext library.

Out of interest, what search terms did you use, and/or how did you find Coolite?

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

RE: General Questions and Comments

Hi Geoff,

I tried the following two search terms(in Google).

1. asp.net Ext control
    2. asp.net Ext library control

Nothing of interest showed up. Then I tried

3. Ext javascript library asp.net (I think adding javascript was the key)

Then on the 5th link there, I found the link,

http://extjs.com/blog/2008/02/18/coo...ls-for-aspnet/

That led me to your site.

BTW, <U>I LOVE the fact that you do not depend on Asp.Net AJAX</U>. Some people swear by it, but I don't really like it, and don't use it for anything. We have our own AJAX libraries that were developed well before Microsoft came out with theirs(though they do have a few nice features).