Api

Api

Hello,
    Two years ago, when I was using Ext.NET mvc I was struggling with bad documentation and poor api. By poor api I mean some methods didnt work at all or I couldnt find good example how to make them to work. Time passed and now Iam thinking again about using again ext.net in mvc views hoping that something changed in API. I have done few simple tests and results arent good.

There is a still problem with documentation and poor api. For example I downloaded latest ext.net by nuget open up example website called ExtNet/Index.cshtml. Tried to set tooltip to button, so I used property SetToolTip which have 2 overloads one with string, next with QTipCfg. Used both but they seem not to work. I went for web to find answers and yes I found that everybody uses method called ToolTip to set tooltip, this one actualy works. I though why give programmer a method that dosent work? I thought maybe I missed something? Somethng important in documentation? I went for http://docs.ext.net/. Both methods SetToolTip and ToolTip does the same, but only the 2nd one works.

I have more examples like that, my question is that: Is it me who uses ext.net in wrong way, misses some clue points in docs or is it library under mvc ?

Regards,
    Jakub
    Hi @qboo,

Welcome to the Ext.NET forums and thank you for the feedback!

Yes, unfortunately, the documentation is still a big problem.

As for ToolTip vs SetToolTip problem, there is a general rule - the methods should be used during a DirectEvent/DirectMethod only, to configure initial state of the control, please use properties.

I though why give programmer a method that dosent work?
    You are right. But, unfortunately, it is not that simple to sort the things out here.
    Thanks for reply. Im aware of difficulties with sorting out problems with documentation and api. Thanks for advices, if I will choose to use Ext.NET in my app I will follow your advice.

Jakub
    Thank you for understanding!

We'll be happy if you finally choose Ext.NET.