TextField EmptyText shows if the exact value is typed in

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TextField EmptyText shows if the exact value is typed in

Seems like a bug to me. If the end user happens to type in the exact same text as the EmptyText value, when TextField loses focus, it switches to the grayed out EmptyText value, somehow thinking the user didn't type anything in, when in fact they did.

RE: TextField EmptyText shows if the exact value is typed in

I disagree. This is the desired functionality of the Fields.

If you're concerned that users will enter the same value as the EmptyText property, then I can suggest a couple options:

1. Do not set the .EmptyText property.
    2. Change the .EmptyText property to a value that will not (should not) be entered by the end user.*

Hope this helps.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Well, I respectfully disagree and this is not consistent with other applications (whether it be Windows or Web apps) that implement EmptyText behavior in their controls. One example that comes to mind is the Search box in the FireFox web browser. If you don't have any text in there, it displays EmptyText as the default search engine, in my case, Google. But if I type Google, it is inteligent enough to know that I typed it in.

You can never know what the end user is going to do, so I'm a firm believer in have code that doesn't make any assumptions. For example, what if I'm implementing a search box, and my EmptyText is: Enter search criteria... Well, the end user could legitimately be looking for such a phrase inside a file or whatever. But after you roll out the fix in V0.80, that supposedly fixes the issue of EmptyText coming across as Text, it would render this search criteria useless becuase it would assume that the field was empty, when in fact the user wanted to search on that criteria.

ok, that's a valid argument. I'll do some more research and see what we can do to improve the functionality.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder