Ambiguous Request Failure

Ambiguous Request Failure

Hi,
    Last week I wrote some code that fetch data from MRMS DB, and it was working fine. Today, I wanted to continue working and just ran the page without any code modifications but I get a Request Error with no information, the Window Body of the error msg is empty. Here is my scenario:
    1- Implemented code to fetch data from MRMS DB to create a report:
    a- the code that fetches the data is done through an AjaxEvent
    2- The user specifies a year (yearly-bases data) then clicks a button that implements the AjaxEvent.
    3- Last week the code was functioning properly with no errors at all.
    4- Today, This Request Failure msg came out, The strange part is that when I close the error msg, the data is fetched and the report is generated, I'm not able to figure out what is happening.

Thanks for your attention.

RE: Ambiguous Request Failure

Here is some of the code, the logic for fetching the data is a bit complicated to be posted herem, and I have never encourted such a problem before, Thats why I'm not sure if I put on a sample case this error would also happen.

Button and the AjaxEvent:
    <ext:ToolbarButton ID="btnGenerate" runat="server" Text="Generate" Icon="ReportGo" AutoPostBack="true">
        <AjaxEvents>
            <Click OnEvent="btnGenerate_Click">
                <EventMask ShowMask="true" Msg="Report is being generated...Please wait" MinDelay="1000" />
            </Click>
        </AjaxEvents>
    </ext:ToolbarButton>
    AjaxEvent Handler:
    protected void btnGenerate_Click(object sender, AjaxEventArgs e)
    {
        DateTime[] dateValues = Calculate_Date_Year(txtYear.Text.Trim());
        Get_Report_Data_By_Dates(dateValues);
    }
    The two methods within the handler do the following:
    1- Calculate_Date_Year: is for getting the exact starting and ending dates of the year specified by the user.
    2-Get_Report_Data_By_Dates: is where the data is actually fetched from the DB based on the dates.

Hi,
    Still can't figure out how this error is coming, I built the page from scratch and even removed and then installed the coolite toolkit and still the same error. It was working great last week and didn't change the code since then, and today out of the sudden I'm getting this error, and the error msg is empty. It works fine though through an AjaxMethod but in my case I have to use an AjaxEvent. Any help would be highly appreciated.

I'm not 100% sure what is wrong, but you should remove the AutoPostBack="true" property and retest.*

The AutoPostBack property is not required when configuring an AjaxEvent.

Hope this helps.

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, but the error is still there even after removing the AutoPostBack property. The process of fetching the data takes some time, does this affect the AjaxEvent? I'm just wondering since it was working before. I double checked the code to see if there is something that breaks the AjaxEvent but nothing, only code for fetching the data and preparing the data source for the report (Microsoft Report Viewer). Thanks again.

Hi,

What status code of response (it should be in warning window)? Try to see response content in FireBug

Hi,

The warning window info.:
    status code: -1
    status text: transaction aborted.

I installed FireBug Lite (for non-FireFox browsers) and still can't figure out how to detect the response content. Just to mention, The report used to show up after closing the warning window, but now it does not. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

I usually get that response error if the AjaxEvent takes longer than 30 secs to run. You should definitely set a higher timeout on the AjaxEvent if the db hit may take a long time.

As for looking at the response content, I highly recomment downloading fiddler2. It's invaluable in debugging Ajax calls. It shows you exactly what is being sent to the server and what is returned.

Hi,

Thanks all for your kind support, without you none of this is possible.
    jchau, In fact setting the Timeout of the AjaxEvent worked perfectly, it never came across my mind since it was working before.
    Geoffrey, I have to set the AutoPostBack to true, but thanks for the advice anyway, since the Microsoft Report Viewer requires the page to be posted in order to rerender the data and its contents.
    You can mark this as resolved :)
    Thank you all for making my day :)