Window management best practices

Window management best practices

I'm creating an application that will contain many windows that will be launched by various buttons within the app. In a standard Windows desktop app, you would typically only instantiate the window when you need it and then destroy it when done. However, this seems to be a bit different, and I'm not sure the ramifications on memory resources within the browser. Currently, I have just created all the Windows and added them in code behind via the Controls.Add(window), and hidden is set to True. I then just call .show() when I need a particular window. Is there a better way to do this? It's important to know that I am doing everything with Code Behind, not using MarkUp at this time. The problem seems to be that I can't get access to a window unless it has been added upon initial load of the web site. I can't figure out how to create a new window only when needed.

Thanks.

RE: Window management best practices

1) You can create coolite windows on the fly in the codebehind and then attach them to a placeholder or anything else on the page that allows you to add ASP.NET controls. *Coolite Windows I believe are server controls that implement the base class that allows them to be added in this way.*

2) The coolite desktop launches windows and adds them to the Ext.WindowsMgr I believe. *I don't know if there is a way to register other types of coolite windows with the Ext.WindowMgr. *Without the Ext.WindowMgr your going to be fighting an uphill battle. Internally, on your PC, all the windows are consuming WM_XXX messages bubbling up from the OS. *That is not happening in your scripts. *Your challenge is going to be to inform window A when window H updates data and closes, because now A has to reload. *y advice is to crawl the ExtJS documentation on the Ext.WindowMgr and then figure out a way to get all coolite windows to register themselves with it.

3) Are the windows singletons? *If so you could use IDMode="static" to be able to address them independently.