After Ajax, how about Reverse Ajax

After Ajax, how about Reverse Ajax

I recently had a situation, where the client initiated a complex time-consuming operation on the server from the browser.

During the time of the operation, I needed to continuously provide feedback in the browser on the progress of the overall operation and the exact thing that was being performed on the server.

My goodness, thanx to [AjaxMethod]s, I was able to accomplish the entire task with little coding & inside an hour. The client clicked Submit, after which the button was disabled. Processing was initiated on the server, and a server-side [AjaxMethod] was polled per second to keep the client updated. It has all gone well. No page flickers, minimum traffic with light-weight Json.

So, I was thinking if the process could be further improved. The only thing that came to mind was polling could have been avoided. A new technique is rising Reverse Ajax, that now enables javascript calls from server, through persistent Http connections. I haven't studied it in detail, nor have I used it.

But, with Coolite providing the capability of calling server-side code from Javascript, how about doing the reverse, calling javascript from server-side code??

I know this is ambitious. I believe this would take time to implement. But there is already atleast one library available for doing this from Java code. I am only suggesting the Coolite core team to look if it is a proposal worth considering.

This would add teeth to the already powerful, ExtJs backed Coolite.
    ExtJs being a completely client-side library, it should NOT help in any way in this. So, I have not filed a similar request on ExtJs forums. Does anyone believe here ExtJs might help in any significant way in achieving Reverse Ajax??

RE: After Ajax, how about Reverse Ajax

Hi r_honey,

We're actually working on solutions for both scenarios you describe: polling & open http connection.*

The polling could be implemented today by using the TaskManager to and fireing an AjaxMethod during a given interval. That said, we are working on some helper functionality to wrap up those two jobs (TaskManager + AjaxMethod) into one handy class.*

The open http connection option to provided true client-to-server and server-to-client communication is in the works. I don't have a time frame for when code will be available to test, but it is coming and it is a priority for us to implement.*

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Good to know that Server to client communication using open Http connection is already in your to-do (or currently doing, whatever it is) list.

I was not aware of the TaskManager class. Does it come from ExtJs, or is a pure Coolite creation??
    Right now, I am using setInterval() javascript function to manually invoke the [AjaxMethod].

I agree with your time-frame point. You cannot provide a precise time-limit for these kindda things unless you already have the complete or majority of it ready.

Hi,

TaskManager is ExtJS class with our changes which allow easly to call server-side handlers. Please see

https://examples1.ext.net/#/Miscella...ager/Overview/