[CLOSED] Linked ComboBox/SelectBox help needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[CLOSED] Linked ComboBox/SelectBox help needed.

I have a series of 3 ComboBoxes (actually SelectBoxes) that are populated by SQLDatasources (call them Quarters, Employees, and Projects)

The first box (Quarters) is the driver for the second (Employees).
    The third (Projects) requires the selection from the first and second to populate.
    Only when all three are selected can the main controls on the pages be executed.

I cannot find any examples of how to set this up (using SQLDatasources -- My queries are part of a framework for selecting the data). I had something working for 1.x but this have gone squirrely in the conversion to 2.x and now I can get the ComboBoxes populated on page load and the defaults selected but when a different Quarter or Employee is picked the second and third boxes do not reload. It is as though the reload event never get off the page.

I can't really post my code as it is tied to a database backend and it is a little to complex. If someone need to look at it to give me some assistance PM me and I will see about getting you a copy.

Regards,

Nathan Wheeler
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	6604  
    Last edited by Daniil; Aug 06, 2013 at 8:28 AM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hi @tnwheeler,

We can try to create a prototype basing on one of these examples.
    https://examples2.ext.net/#/Form/Com...ed_ComboBoxes/
    https://examples2.ext.net/#/Form/Com...Linked_Combos/

What example is closer to your requirement?
    Daniil,

I am not sure what the significant difference is between the two examples you listed -- other than the obvious fact that one uses a proxy/webservice and the other uses a direct read of the XML file to load the City data. Given that my situation where all three components get their data from separate SQLDatasources I would guess either would work (unless I am missing a fundamental piece of the puzzle).

I would rather not have to create a plethora of support files for this control but if the webservice route is the way to go then I will do so.

Additional elements to consider are:
    The first ComboBox is dynamic based on the user.
    The second ComboBox will usually only have 1 item (the current user) and only in the case of a supervisor will it have more that the single item.
    If the selected value of the first changes both the second and the third ComboBoxes will need to be updated (but their selected values may not need to change).

Regards,
    Last edited by tnwheeler; Jul 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM. Reason: Cleanup of un-need format codes
    Hello!

Sorry, we don't quite understand what is your problem? Is it in combination of Combox and SQLDatasources or in loading linked Comboxes?

Also, is it possible to provide a sample without Database or with MockObjects?
    Yes, we should start with a simple prototype without SQL/database stuff. If all the ComboBoxes' Stores loads its data via, I guess, AjaxProxies in your real application, then we could use PageProxies in our prototype. Just for the sake of ease.

So, can you post some simple basic sample which would demonstrate the scenario and the point where you are actually stuck?
    Last edited by Daniil; Jul 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM.
    I have tried to simply the control I am building but since the problem is that the stores of the comboboxes are not rebinding to the SQLDatasources it is impossible for me to recreate without the database component.

If you would like me to send you the files for the control privately as I currently have it I can.

Thanks,
    Can you create a sample using our databases from Examples? We can use them to investigate your problem.
    Last edited by Baidaly; Jul 26, 2013 at 3:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baidaly View Post
    Can you create a sample using our databases from Examples? We can use them to investigate your problem.
    I will see what I can do. I assume you are using the standard northwind sample database?

I tried sending you and Daniil a PM yesterday with what i have put together but was stopped by the character limit on PM's... :0

Regards,
    Please avoid PMs. We are trying to keep public as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tnwheeler View Post
    I have tried to simply the control I am building but since the problem is that the stores of the comboboxes are not rebinding to the SQLDatasources it is impossible for me to recreate without the database component.
    What about to replace the database with some dummy data?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    What about to replace the database with some dummy data?
    How do you propose I do that? I am binding my ext:stores to an asp:SqlDatasource. I guess I can switch to a different model if I have to but I was really hoping for a solution that did not relay on the complexity of maintaining multiple web services for each combobox.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast