[CLOSED] GridPanel vs Dataview performance

[CLOSED] GridPanel vs Dataview performance

We have a portal page with 5-10 small GridPanels. I been debating whether to convert the GridPanels to DataViews that render out tables. How much performance gain from the clientside will I see if I do that?
    Last edited by Daniil; Jul 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hi @jchau,

Unfortunately, I have no numbers and never seen that someone test something similar.

I just can say that a DataView is more lightweight component than a GridPanel and, theoretically, it should give some benefit. Though, I doubt it will be significant with 5-10 small grids. Another issue that a DataView doesn't fully reflect a GridPanel's functionality. Are you sure that you are not loosing some important functionality with such a change? Well, if you need to implement some GridPanel functionality with a DataView, it could cross out a possible performance (speed) benefit.
    Interesting....i will try to do some simple tests. I really just need to display a list of names that can be selected. No need for sorting or grouping or paging or filtering.
    I really just need to display a list of names that can be selected.
    What if to use MultiSelect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    What if to use MultiSelect?
    hmm...good idea. We may have to change a few things since we expect the UI to bind to a store but MultiSelect may work. Thanks for the ideas. This all stemmed from clients complaining IE7 is slow with our app. I want to get rid of as many gridpanels as possible.
    Just a couple of notes.

A MultiSelect looks more heavyweight control than a DataView. At least, a DataView is used as a part of MultiSelect.

Though a MultiSelect can better meet your requirements which you might need to implement manually with a DataView, i.e. adding some weight.

Finally, I would say that a MultiSelect is a DataView with selecting functionality (and, by the way, drag&drop which you also might need). So, it looks the best option for you.