[CLOSED] NetwtonSoft JSON DLL

[CLOSED] NetwtonSoft JSON DLL

Hi,

I wondered if you could clarify. We're looking at various ways to optimise our webapp. We have noted that there are faster classes available for JSON de/serialisation (http://theburningmonk.com/2011/08/pe...n-serializers/).

Is there any reason I would have to use the Newtonsoft DLL that comes with Ext.NET? Would I be free to swap to use ServiceStack.Text instead?

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by Daniil; Mar 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.campbell View Post
    Hi,

I wondered if you could clarify. We're looking at various ways to optimise our webapp. We have noted that there are faster classes available for JSON de/serialisation (http://theburningmonk.com/2011/08/pe...n-serializers/).

Is there any reason I would have to use the Newtonsoft DLL that comes with Ext.NET? Would I be free to swap to use ServiceStack.Text instead?

Cheers,
    Peter
    Yes, of course you are free to switch to another Json Serializers, although I'll leave you with a few comments:

1. In Ext.NET we only use the Serialization functionality of Json.NET. Based on the matrix of results in the link above, the performance difference is much closer between the frameworks than it would appear if you were focused on the Deserialization results.
    2. In Ext.NET we do not just pass raw objects into the Json.NET Serializer. We use the .WriteValue and .WriteRawValue functionality which provides greater granularity of control and performance improvements. I suspect if you were to compare this apples to apples functionality across those two frameworks the performance differences would be minor.
    3. Json.NET is pretty tightly integrated into Ext.NET. It's not going to be a simple process to swap our the framework.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    Yes, of course you are free to switch to another Json Serializers, although I'll leave you with a few comments:

1. In Ext.NET we only use the Serialization functionality of Json.NET. Based on the matrix of results in the link above, the performance difference is much closer between the frameworks than it would appear if you were focused on the Deserialization results.
    2. In Ext.NET we do not just pass raw objects into the Json.NET Serializer. We use the .WriteValue and .WriteRawValue functionality which provides greater granularity of control and performance improvements. I suspect if you were to compare this apples to apples functionality across those two frameworks the performance differences would be minor.
    3. Json.NET is pretty tightly integrated into Ext.NET. It's not going to be a simple process to swap our the framework.

Hope this helps.
    OK, thanks Geoffrey. Revised benchmarks show json.NET v 4.5 to be on par with the fastest libs now, so perhaps Ext.net will move up to that version at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.campbell View Post
    OK, thanks Geoffrey. Revised benchmarks show json.NET v 4.5 to be on par with the fastest libs now, so perhaps Ext.net will move up to that version at some point.
    I believe the current Json.NET build in SVN is 4.5.11, which is the latest release of Json.NET.

Both 1.x and 2.x were updated recently.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Hello,

Currently, there is JSON.NET 4.5.11 in the both Ext.NET v1 and v2.