Ext.NET Community License changes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Personally, I see the Ext.net as the development tool aimed at software web. Net.

I also understand that to keep running as a company is and will always be necessary the fundraising to keep services running and recover all the investment that your group has done so far ...

In my case, I use to leave the community for my personal projects and college and still admit read a lot on the forums but do not post solutions because so far, 100% of my problems were solved using the examples and community forum .. .

but I see that the value of the current license in my case and in the case of developers in my country is very high if you want to follow using ext.net to create software and sell it later.

But what I feel is the same as the license of the community should be maintained and the community should contribute financially through donations, help create the official documentation, and helping other users with less knowledge in order to be able later to download and use this component because like it or not, we have a learning curve on top of this component before we can contribute.

Whatever your decision for the future because we will no longer license from the community, consider creating licenses with prices more popular and create an official documentation (we already have a book I want to buy in the future) so that everyone can have access to this technology.

sorry for poor english :)
    Hi @lrossism,

Thank you for the feedback. It is fair enough.

Also thank you for the suggestions. We will take them into account.
    I'm quite disappointed to hear that Ext.NET Community version is being considered for discontinuation. Several months ago I downloaded the 2.0 Beta Community version of the Ext.NET framework and I was able to put together a small application for myself as a proof of concept. There were some issues with the Beta framework that caused me to put it aside. I just recently began using the 2.0 framework and have found it to be very useful. I don't consider myself to be at a sufficient level of understanding to help others let alone recommend an efficient way of doing something using Ext.NET. I have been learning quite a bit from reading the posts and looking at the samples. For a new person to learn Ext.NET I think it can take quite a bit of time to piece together any functionality from various samples and forum posts. I tend to believe that most of the users of the Community version are probably in a similar situation as I am.

I read most of the comments in this thread and most users are sincere in their need for the Community version. Unfortunately there are a lot of developers that can not afford the Pro license. I had hoped to use this framework to develop some application for a non-profit organization that cannot really afford to hire developers or spend it on purchasing software. It can take time to build up support so please do not lose faith and give up on the Community. I have a feeling that with the recent version you will begin to see much improvement in the involvement from regular folks.

Does ext.net v2 commercial license packed with commercial extjs?

If the extjs within the commercial ver of ext.net 2 are gpl...then.......
    Quote Originally Posted by lrossism View Post
    Personally, I see the Ext.net as the development tool aimed at software web. Net.

I also understand that to keep running as a company is and will always be necessary the fundraising to keep services running and recover all the investment that your group has done so far ...

In my case, I use to leave the community for my personal projects and college and still admit read a lot on the forums but do not post solutions because so far, 100% of my problems were solved using the examples and community forum .. .

but I see that the value of the current license in my case and in the case of developers in my country is very high if you want to follow using ext.net to create software and sell it later.

But what I feel is the same as the license of the community should be maintained and the community should contribute financially through donations, help create the official documentation, and helping other users with less knowledge in order to be able later to download and use this component because like it or not, we have a learning curve on top of this component before we can contribute.

Whatever your decision for the future because we will no longer license from the community, consider creating licenses with prices more popular and create an official documentation (we already have a book I want to buy in the future) so that everyone can have access to this technology.

sorry for poor english :)

I second this, i would help out to take the load off of your guys, if you keep the community version going
    Thank you all for the feedback!

Hi @sush,

Quote Originally Posted by sush View Post
    Unfortunately there are a lot of developers that can not afford the Pro license. I had hoped to use this framework to develop some application for a non-profit organization that cannot really afford to hire developers or spend it on purchasing software. It can take time to build up support so please do not lose faith and give up on the Community.
    Maybe these options are relevant to your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    4. If you would like to use Ext.NET, but do not have the budget, or legitimately cannot afford an Ext.NET Pro license, email me (geoff@object.net) and we'll work something out.

5. If you have publicly released an open-source project using the AGPL Ext.NET Community license, email me (geoff@object.net). Currently I know of no open-source software projects that fall under this scenario, but if there are I will go above and beyond to figure out a solution.
    Hi @qdano,

Quote Originally Posted by qdano View Post
    Does ext.net v2 commercial license packed with commercial extjs?
    If the extjs within the commercial ver of ext.net 2 are gpl...then.......
    Yes, it is.

Hi Amir,

Quote Originally Posted by Pyropace View Post
    I second this, i would help out to take the load off of your guys, if you keep the community version going
    Thank you, we will bear in mind:)
    Hi Daniil,

Can you please clarify if the licensing change for the Community version is retroactive? I already downloaded the Community version a couple of months ago and I am now using it to do some development. Am I allowed to continue to use the Community version and deploy any applications using it as per the license agreement that was included in the Ext.NET.LICENSE.txt file present in the download?

Thank you for the clarification.
    I am saddened to see the Community License go away as it made it very easy for me to get my foot in the door with Ext.Net (which so far has been a much better framework than any others I have looked at). As a whole the Ext.NET product and Community license has work very well for my company (a private college) and while it has been a challenge at times to figure out things out based solely on the community forums, there has been very little that I have done that was not already covered in some form by the Ext.net (and ExtJs) community.

We are an in-house I.T. team consisting of a number of developers (including students working part-time) that occasionally touch projects using Ext.NET as well as one programmer who works with Ext.NET on a regular basis. The Community License worked for us as we did not have to purchase licenses for the developers who only touched an Ext.NET project for a few hours a month or year. To be clear, we do not object to the idea of paying for licenses for the developers who are working with Ext.NET full time, but since we could never get a clear idea of what to do with our "fringe" developers and the Community License provided an easy solution it was what we went for -- at the cost of not having real-time support options and being limited to only using Ext.NET on our internal websites.

I realize that according to McGill's original post we might be able to do this with the pro license model however our development environment currently requires the project to be tested on a dev/test server and not "locally". If my understand of this model is flawed I would relish a correction. :)

I guess now I need to figure out how we are going to license our current installation...
    Forgive my bad memory,

back in 2011, was it not the pro edition both free to download and develop with and pay for the license when necessary?

BTW, we licensed for the 1.x version still qualify for upgrading and using the 2nd version w/o further licensing, right?

---

Well, assuming my memory serves me right and since there is no quick answer to my question above I'll just complete my post by saying that I start with the pro version right away developing w/o a license initially and bought a license (non premium) when the project moved to commercial production. To cut a long story short, I think I never used the community version even though having it available was nice and tempting.

Last but not least, I want to emphasize on the fact that the non premium licensing costs serve small to medium size projects very well indeed.
    Last edited by Dimitris; Apr 09, 2013 at 5:51 AM. Reason: complete answer

Community Support and Documentation...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    Hi @jphms and Chris,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Please look at my post just before your ones.

Does it not dispel your concerns?
    It doesn't really dispel my concern. Up to this point it has been ok to have minimal documentation and base everything on the samples because of the community. I fear after the community license goes away, developers will not invest time in adding to the forums. There is no giving back anymore.

We are in the middle of migrating from 1.6 to 2.1 and it has been a pain to deal with it. Without no upgrade documentation available other than the samples and the Breaking changes, you have to rely on other people's experiences, hence the forums.

It is my hope that this doesn't cripple the forums, as it becomes a closed community and limits its growth.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123