Book feedback for Ext.NET Web Application Development

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes, I keep you updated.
    Book is probably delayed because of wheather :)
    Or maybe I should select the package with luck included. Joking !

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    @watteeuw - please let us know when the book arrives. I'm going to contact Packt and ask them for an explanation. I could deliver the book to you by donkey within that time, and I would have to cross an ocean.
    Hi @AlexMadarasz,

Thank you for your feedback!

First of all, apologize for the inconvenience that there is no Ext.NET MVC NuGet package yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMadarasz View Post
    Would really appreciate somebody providing the complete, step-by-step process to get an empty VS2010 ASP.NET MVC3 project up and running with full Ext.NET MVC support.
    You mentioned this thread.
    http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?16920

Please clarify did you try it?

Many developers started using this mini guide.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    I the MVC .zip download file, there is a "Sample" project.

http://ext.net/download/

Download the .zip file, extract to a location on your machine, then double-click the .sln file. The project should startup Visual Studio and should build and run.
    Yes, it builds and runs ... this sample (and the previous 2.1.0 sample) is where I eventually ended up after trying the book, the package and the various forum threads.

Only [very minor] "issue" with the 2.1.1 sample is that it depends on the folder relationship to the ..\lib\ folder for the Ext.NET DLL dependencies, which isn't necessarily valid if the DLLs have been extracted and placed in a different place than the code (which obviously would then require the user to manually register the dependent DLLs) .... Otherwise, yes, this sample should probably be the "go-to" for any user wanting a minimal Ext.NET MVC3 project to examine.

Thanks,

--
    Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    ... First of all, apologize for the inconvenience that there is no Ext.NET MVC NuGet package yet. You mentioned this thread. http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?16920 Please clarify did you try it? Many developers started using this mini guide.
    Yes, I tried it, but ran into some minor issues that other [more experienced ASP.NET / Ext.NET] developers might have just blown right by:

1. It only refers to [a single] Web.config - for the description of an example MVC project there should be at least a mention that both the "master" Web.config and the .\Views\Web.config exist, the developer should be told whether both are required/desired for Ext.NET, whether the Ext.NET settings should be the same in both, etc.
    2. Views\Examples\Index.cshtml has a reference to the /resources/css/examples.css stylesheet, so I can only assume that copying the Ext.NET resources folder tree into the new project is implied (and perhaps a "best practice" if you want to make any other references to Web.config theme settings, or any of the other resources).

--
    Alex
    I was too pessimist. Just received my book !!

Quote Originally Posted by watteeuw View Post
    Yes, I keep you updated.
    Book is probably delayed because of wheather :)
    Or maybe I should select the package with luck included. Joking !
    My congratulations! How is it?:)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMadarasz View Post
    Yes, I tried it, but ran into some minor issues that other [more experienced ASP.NET / Ext.NET] developers might have just blown right by:

1. It only refers to [a single] Web.config - for the description of an example MVC project there should be at least a mention that both the "master" Web.config and the .\Views\Web.config exist, the developer should be told whether both are required/desired for Ext.NET, whether the Ext.NET settings should be the same in both, etc.
    2. Views\Examples\Index.cshtml has a reference to the /resources/css/examples.css stylesheet, so I can only assume that copying the Ext.NET resources folder tree into the new project is implied (and perhaps a "best practice" if you want to make any other references to Web.config theme settings, or any of the other resources).

--
    Alex
    I have answered these items here:
    http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php...ll=1#post98816
    Does this book cover Ext.NET 1.x or Ext.NET 2.x? Is it mostly about the server side aspect of Ext.NET or does it go into clientside with ExtJS?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast