ComboBox with SqlDataSource

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ComboBox with SqlDataSource

Hello all,

I am new to using Coolite, but am familiar with the Microsoft ASP & AJAX control implementations. I had a page completely working with ASP.Net controls but when I added the grid control from Coolite, the styles clashed horribly. Although this is an internal website, I still pride myself on fit and finish as well as performance. I have now decided to move over to the Coolite Toolkit for
    everything, as I want to be able to get all of the controls styled
    similarly.

I am having trouble getting a ComboBox to display the results from a SqlDataSource that is connected to an Oracle server. The datastore retrieves the data, but the rows are all empty.

Here's the relevent markup:

<ext:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" ScriptMode="Debug">
    </ext:ScriptManager>

<asp:SqlDataSource id="MTSODataSource" SelectCommand="SELECT ident, label FROM west.ne_mtx ORDER BY label ASC" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:serenity %>" ProviderName="<%$ ConnectionStrings:serenity.ProviderName %>" Runat="server" />

<ext:Store ID="MTSOStore" DataSourceID="MTSODataSource" runat="server">
        <Reader>
            <ext:JsonReader ReaderID="ident">
                <Fields>
                    <ext:RecordField Name="ident" Type="Int" />
                    <ext:RecordField Name="label" Type="String" />
                </Fields>
            </ext:JsonReader>
        </Reader>
        <Listeners>
            <LoadException Handler="Ext.Msg.alert('MTSO list - Load failed', e.message || response.statusText);" />  
        </Listeners>    
    </ext:Store>

<ext:ComboBox ID="MTSOList" CausesValidation="false" FieldLabel="MTSO:" Width="200" StoreID="MTSOStore" TriggerAction="All" Mode="Local" EmptyText="Select MTSO" DisplayField="label" ValueField="ident" ForceSelection="true" runat="server" Select&#111;nfocus="True">
    </ext:ComboBox>
    The SqlDatasource is connected to an Oracle database. The browser renders the control just fine, but the dropdown appears to have 15 short rows, only about 5 pixels high each. Using the DOM inspector in Firebug, I can see 15 results rows, each with ident and label = "" (See attached for the output from Firebug). On the <ext:RecordField> element, I have tried omitting the type as well as setting it to string, and float and int depending on the filed type in Oracle.

I searched through the forums, but there are very few comments about Oracle. Is this something specific to Oracle? Have I done something stupid in the code?

Thanks kindly for you help.

Gargamel

RE: ComboBox with SqlDataSource

Hi,

Can you post Coolite init script block?
    View source of page in browser and copy script block which started with*Ext.onReady

Vladsch,

Here it is:

<script type="text/javascript">
    //<![CDATA[
    	Ext.onReady(function(){Ext.QuickTips.init();this.MTSOStore_Data=[{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{},{}];this.MTSOStore=new Coolite.Ext.Store({id:"MTSOStore",ajaxEventConfig:{formProxyArg:"default"},reader:new Ext.data.JsonReader({id:"ident",fields:[{type:"int",name:"ident"},{type:"string",name:"label"}]}),autoLoad:true,listeners:{loadexception:{fn:function(store,options,response,e){Ext.Msg.alert('MTSO list - Load failed', e.message || response.statusText);}}}});MTSOStore.proxy=new Ext.data.PagingMemoryProxy(MTSOStore_Data, false);this.MTSOList=new Ext.form.ComboBox({id:"MTSOList",renderTo:"MTSOList_Container",width:200,fieldLabel:"MTSO:",emptyText:"Select MTSO",store:MTSOStore,valueField:"ident",triggerAction:"all",selectOnFocus:true,queryDelay:10,mode:"local",hiddenName:"MTSOList_Value",forceSelection:true,displayField:"label"});});Coolite.Ext.ScriptManagerUniqueID="ScriptManager1";Ext.BLANK_IMAGE_URL="/WebResource.axd?d=cOD15HTtJTThn79i7vRBJ4psFlvLE4xFloCKuRjRNotWfCA64N3aFn0wj2rYHT_wnV3s8z1YFBdgshj6g8Ex6rsnOolAj22EGoZru6MueeAgK7wb_vjCj58WgcaPRj-y0&amp;amp;t=633655206860000000";
    //]]>
    </script>
    Just for the record I wrote this two ways, the second time as a web service and I could see the web service execute but still nothing.

Thanks!

Hi,

I see that Store can't find properties.

Can you try to things:
    1. Try this SqlDataSource with standart ASP.NET GridView. Is it working?
    2. Try to set for Store property IgnoreExtraFields="false" and post Coolite script block

I added a DropDownList control:
    <asp:DropDownList ID="mtso" runat="server" DataSourceID="MTSODataSource" DataTextField="label" DataValueField="ident" AppendDataBoundItems="true">
        <asp:ListItem value="-1" text="All"></asp:ListItem>
    </asp:DropDownList>
    This worked for the ASP control. I also added the IgnoreExtraFields="false" to the store.

//<![CDATA[
    	Ext.onReady(function(){Ext.QuickTips.init();this.MTSOStore_Data=[{"IDENT":31,"LABEL":"ATO2"},{"IDENT":32,"LABEL":"BEND"},{"IDENT":33,"LABEL":"COLU"},{"IDENT":34,"LABEL":"EURE"},{"IDENT":35,"LABEL":"JOPL"},{"IDENT":36,"LABEL":"LONG"},{"IDENT":37,"LABEL":"MANS"},{"IDENT":38,"LABEL":"MEDF"},{"IDENT":39,"LABEL":"OKLA"},{"IDENT":40,"LABEL":"OMAH"},{"IDENT":41,"LABEL":"OWAS"},{"IDENT":42,"LABEL":"SALI"},{"IDENT":43,"LABEL":"STLO"},{"IDENT":44,"LABEL":"TULS"},{"IDENT":45,"LABEL":"WIC2"},{"IDENT":46,"LABEL":"YAKI"}];this.MTSOStore=new Coolite.Ext.Store({id:"MTSOStore",ajaxEventConfig:{formProxyArg:"default"},reader:new Ext.data.JsonReader({fields:[{type:"int",name:"ident"},{type:"string",name:"label"}],id:"ident"}),autoLoad:true,listeners:{loadexception:{fn:function(store,options,response,e){Ext.Msg.alert('MTSO list - Load failed', e.message || response.statusText);}}}});MTSOStore.proxy=new Ext.data.PagingMemoryProxy(MTSOStore_Data, false);this.MTSOList=new Ext.form.ComboBox({id:"MTSOList",renderTo:"MTSOList_Container",width:200,fieldLabel:"MTSO:",emptyText:"Select MTSO",store:MTSOStore,valueField:"ident",triggerAction:"all",selectOnFocus:true,queryDelay:10,mode:"local",hiddenName:"MTSOList_Value",forceSelection:true,displayField:"label"});MTSOStore.load();});Coolite.Ext.ScriptManagerUniqueID="ScriptManager1";Ext.BLANK_IMAGE_URL="/WebResource.axd?d=cOD15HTtJTThn79i7vRBJ4psFlvLE4xFloCKuRjRNotWfCA64N3aFn0wj2rYHT_wnV3s8z1YFBdgshj6g8Ex6rsnOolAj22EGoZru6MueeAgK7wb_vjCj58WgcaPRj-y0&amp;amp;t=633655206860000000";
    //]]>
    </script>
    I don't know where you are, but if you are in North America, do you ever sleep?

Thanks!

Hi,

As you can see the SqlDataSource return upper case properties (may be it is Oracle returns such names)

IDENT
    LABEL*

The Store parser is case sensitive. So you need to set*

<ext:JsonReader ReaderID="IDENT">
    *********** <Fields>
    *************** <ext:RecordField Name="IDENT" Type="Int" />
    *************** <ext:RecordField Name="LABEL" Type="String" />
    *********** </Fields>
    ******* </ext:JsonReader>

Also you can return IgnoreExtraFields="true" (or remove it, true is default value)

Vladsch,

Sill not getting anything in the ComboBox (see attached combobox.bmp).

Here is the latest code:

<ext:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" ScriptMode="Debug">
        <Listeners>
            <DocumentReady Handler="#{MTSOStore}.load();" />
        </Listeners> 
    </ext:ScriptManager>

<asp:SqlDataSource id="MTSODataSource" SelectCommand="SELECT ident, label FROM west.ne_mtx ORDER BY label ASC" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:serenity %>" ProviderName="<%$ ConnectionStrings:serenity.ProviderName %>" Runat="server" />

<ext:Store ID="MTSOStore" DataSourceID="MTSODataSource" runat="server" IgnoreExtraFields="false">
        <Reader>
            <ext:JsonReader ReaderID="ident">
                <Fields>
                    <ext:RecordField Name="IDENT" Type="Int" />
                    <ext:RecordField Name="LABEL" Type="String" />
                </Fields>
            </ext:JsonReader>
        </Reader>
        <Listeners>
            <LoadException Handler="Ext.Msg.alert('MTSO list - Load failed', e.message || response.statusText);" />  
        </Listeners>    
    </ext:Store>

<ext:ComboBox ID="MTSOList" CausesValidation="false" FieldLabel="MTSO:" Width="200" StoreID="MTSOStore" TriggerAction="All" Mode="Local" EmptyText="Select MTSO" DisplayField="label" ValueField="ident" ForceSelection="true" runat="server" Select&#111;nfocus="True">
    </ext:ComboBox>

<asp:DropDownList ID="mtso" runat="server" DataSourceID="MTSODataSource" DataTextField="label" DataValueField="ident" AppendDataBoundItems="true">
    and here is the script:
    //<![CDATA[
    	Ext.onReady(function(){Ext.QuickTips.init();this.MTSOStore_Data=[{"IDENT":31,"LABEL":"ATO2"},{"IDENT":32,"LABEL":"BEND"},{"IDENT":33,"LABEL":"COLU"},{"IDENT":34,"LABEL":"EURE"},{"IDENT":35,"LABEL":"JOPL"},{"IDENT":36,"LABEL":"LONG"},{"IDENT":37,"LABEL":"MANS"},{"IDENT":38,"LABEL":"MEDF"},{"IDENT":39,"LABEL":"OKLA"},{"IDENT":40,"LABEL":"OMAH"},{"IDENT":41,"LABEL":"OWAS"},{"IDENT":42,"LABEL":"SALI"},{"IDENT":43,"LABEL":"STLO"},{"IDENT":44,"LABEL":"TULS"},{"IDENT":45,"LABEL":"WIC2"},{"IDENT":46,"LABEL":"YAKI"}];this.MTSOStore=new Coolite.Ext.Store({id:"MTSOStore",ajaxEventConfig:{formProxyArg:"default"},reader:new Ext.data.JsonReader({fields:[{type:"int",name:"IDENT"},{type:"string",name:"LABEL"}],id:"ident"}),autoLoad:true,listeners:{loadexception:{fn:function(store,options,response,e){Ext.Msg.alert('MTSO list - Load failed', e.message || response.statusText);}}}});MTSOStore.proxy=new Ext.data.PagingMemoryProxy(MTSOStore_Data, false);this.MTSOList=new Ext.form.ComboBox({id:"MTSOList",renderTo:"MTSOList_Container",width:200,fieldLabel:"MTSO:",emptyText:"Select MTSO",store:MTSOStore,valueField:"ident",triggerAction:"all",selectOnFocus:true,queryDelay:10,mode:"local",hiddenName:"MTSOList_Value",forceSelection:true,displayField:"label"});MTSOStore.load();});Coolite.Ext.ScriptManagerUniqueID="ScriptManager1";Ext.BLANK_IMAGE_URL="/WebResource.axd?d=cOD15HTtJTThn79i7vRBJ4psFlvLE4xFloCKuRjRNotWfCA64N3aFn0wj2rYHT_wnV3s8z1YFBdgshj6g8Ex6rsnOolAj22EGoZru6MueeAgK7wb_vjCj58WgcaPRj-y0&amp;amp;t=633655206860000000";
    //]]>
    </script>
    As you can see the ComboBox is still empty with each line having only about 5 pixels in height.

Thanks!

Hi,

Update with upper case name*
    1. ReaderID property of Reader
    2. DisplayField and ValueField of ComboBox

Vladsch,

Thank you very much. So the Coolite/ExtJS controls are case sensitive. Good to know. Now for hopefully an easy question. Is there a way to get a value in the ComboBox that indicates no selection?

Here is how I did it with the APS.Net control:
    Again, thanks for your help.

Hi gargamel4670,

At the moment there is no way to add extra ListItems inline. This is a weakness of the ComboBox/Store and we're investigating a solution.

Currently, the extra items must be added to the Store, which is obviously problematic for some scenarios.

gargamel <-- :)

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast