Chat popup

Chat popup

Is it possible to disable this new feature on the forum/example pages ?
    It's nice when entering the 'normal' ext.net site, but begins to annoy when using the forum/examples..

Otherwise i begin to ask stupid and annoying questions :)

Martin
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm running an experiment with this chat software to see if there is value our users.

One change we have made is to enable the close (x) functionality of the chat tab/window. If you click the 'X', the chat should close for a while, but it will reappear (not sure the exact policy for this) at some point in a future visit.

In the forums, we have disabled for all but Premium Members. If we keep the chat feature it will be included free for only Premium Members as a value added benefit. I am going to investigate how we can make enabling the chat an individual setting for each Premium Member. If you don't want it, then it should never render. At the moment there is no easy way to prevent the chat tab from rendering.

We'll leave it on the www.ext.net site as it is really coming in handy there. Already helped several new users with questions and installation issues.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Thanks for the reply Geoffrey,

I'm sure it's handy on the www site, but as it isn't usable for technical questions, it's a little bit too much for people who frequently visit the forums (like i do)

Still.. you guys do a great job. That won't change with this :)

Regards,

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by CarWise View Post
    Thanks for the reply Geoffrey,

I'm sure it's handy on the www site, but as it isn't usable for technical questions, it's a little bit too much for people who frequently visit the forums (like i do)

Still.. you guys do a great job. That won't change with this :)

Regards,

Martin
    Please try the close (X) feature. Let me know if that helps.

Currently on the forums the chat is only available to Premium members. I need to determine if Premium members find value in this. All Premium Members are welcome to start a chat session when chat is online.

That said, if the chat gets overly technical and requires posting code samples, we will ask that the conversation move to the forums only. The chat software is not a great place to post or discuss code.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    The chat is cute, but I believe I would always us a forum post because of the details I need to present. I have also found myself referring to my own threads two weeks later to reminder myself of an resolved issue. I would only us chat to hassle Daniil about a soccer game or about the NHL players in the KHL.
    Thank you for the feedback, Chris:)

Yes, the forums is 100% better for technical questions which requires detailed explanation and a code sample.

Also I agree it is very useful to have a possibility to keep the reference to a solution.

But the chat is also good for its purposes. Asking about soccer or ice-hockey? Why not:)

But, to be serious, we already helped many ones with this chat.

Though, there is a big disadvantage. If I am online in the chat, I almost can't do anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    Though, there is a big disadvantage. If I am online in the chat, I almost can't do anything else.
    Yes, I have to agree with this 100%. The chat is super crazy distracting.

I absolutely see the benefits, but there are also real quantifiable downsides. We're still in the evaluation phase, and trying to work out policies and techniques for dealing with the problem scenarios.

At the moment, I'd like to see the chat stay. I believe the ability to quickly triage a problem and assit new users outweigh the downsides. It would be great fun to just stay on this chat all day long... if I didn't have a 1000 other things to do. We just need to let this experiment run its course and re-evaluate after a few weeks.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Yes, agree, the benefits are great.