[CLOSED] UserControl with top level layout throws in direct event

[CLOSED] UserControl with top level layout throws in direct event

Hi, while experimenting with dynamically loaded user controls I came across forum posts which place a fit-layout at the top level of a user control to achieve dynamic resizing. Indeed it seems Ext.Net provides special support if the top level element in a user control is a layout. While this works great for static controls as well as controls added during postback I can't seem to get it to work with a Direct Event + UpdateContent call. For this case Ext.Net seems to generate invalid javascript, as I get an exception of missing semicolons, and when peeking at the script it looks like some json was dumped into the script without a wrapping javascript call. Is this a bug or is this scenario not supported?

PS: If you have advice or alternatives for dynamically generating Ext.Net panels/forms I wouldn't mind doing it differently. I know I could generate the Ext.Net controls in C# code and then call one of the XRender functions, but writing the whole control tree in C# is no fun, so I'm looking for alternatives. The UserControl approach with top level fit layout looked promising until I hit the DirectEvent problem.

sandbox3.aspx
    <%@ Page language="C#" autoeventwireup="true" %>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Test Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form runat="server" id="wForm">
        <asp:ScriptManager runat="server" id="wScriptManager" />
        <ext:ResourceManager runat="server" id="wResourceManager" ajaxviewstatemode="Enabled" />
        <div>
            <ext:Viewport runat="server" layout="Fit">
                <Items>
                    <ext:Panel runat="server" layout="Fit">
                        <TopBar>
                            <ext:Toolbar runat="server">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Button runat="server" text="Add Control through Direct Event" ondirectclick="Button_DirectClick" />
                                </Items>
                            </ext:Toolbar>
                        </TopBar>
                        <Items>
                            <ext:TabPanel runat="server">
                                <Items>
                                    <ext:Panel runat="server" id="tab" title="Tab 1" />
                                </Items>
                            </ext:TabPanel>
                        </Items>
                    </ext:Panel>
                </Items>
            </ext:Viewport>
        </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    <script runat="server">
        protected void Button_DirectClick(object sender, DirectEventArgs e)
        {
            var control = LoadControl("~/sandbox3.ascx");
            control.ID = "myControl";
            tab.ContentControls.Add(control);
            tab.UpdateContent();
        }
    </script>
    sandbox3.ascx
    <%@ Control language="C#" %>
    <ext:FitLayout runat="server">
        <Items>
            <ext:Container runat="server" layout="Form">
                <Items>
                    <ext:TextField runat="server" fieldlabel="Field 1" text="some text" anchorhorizontal="96%" />
                    <ext:DateField runat="server" fieldlabel="Field 2" anchorhorizontal="96%" />
                    <ext:DropDownField runat="server" fieldlabel="Field 3" anchorhorizontal="96%" />
                </Items>
            </ext:Container>
        </Items>
    </ext:FitLayout>
    Last edited by Daniil; Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hi,

Yes, the UpdateContent method can't work when there is a layout control at the top of a user control.

In this case you should re-render the tab calling:
    tab.Render();
    instead of UpdateContent.
    Ah, didn't think of that, thanks.

While this gets the user control loaded it deactivates the selected tab, and if I add more then one tab it messes up the tab order.

Would it make sense to re-render the whole TabPanel instead of the tab page or should I try "fixing" the tab order + active index with some javascript?

[edit] re-rendering works for the example I've given but I'm still getting an exception in my actual project. Something about dom being undefined in 'me.dom.style', during a setLeftTop method, from Ext.Element.addMethods. I'll try to reduce it into an example.

[edit] Was my mistake. One of the places where I was loading a user control used a border layout instead of a tab panel, but of course border layout doesn't support re-rendering its panels. Wrapped that one inside a container and it works as well.
    Last edited by syncos; Aug 14, 2012 at 9:05 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    Quote Originally Posted by syncos View Post
    While this gets the user control loaded it deactivates the selected tab, and if I add more then one tab it messes up the tab order.
    Please use an additional Container placing it into the tabs and putting a user control into that Container, i.e. the same as you already did for BorderLayout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    Please use an additional Container placing it into the tabs and putting a user control into that Container, i.e. the same as you already did for BorderLayout.
    Works great now, thanks!