ComboBox SelectedItem gets null reference error

ComboBox SelectedItem gets null reference error

Upgrading from 1.X to 2.0 I am running into an issue with the ComboBox and the SelectedItem property on the back-end. I know breaking change #50 says the SelectedIndex and SelectedItem properties have been removed, but from the example that seems to only be on the front end. On the back end I can still access that property, but it seems like I can never fill it. (I always get a null reference error - "Object Reference Not Set to an Instance of an Object").

Here's the code I have (I also tried setting the SelectedItem.Text instead, but got the same result):
    this.ddlSubmissionStatus.SelectedItem.Value = viewSubmission.SubmissionStatus;

I created a new textbox and used the same value to populate that and it works and shows up without an issue so I can guarantee that the value from the database is not null. This code works:
    this.tfCurrentStatus.Text = viewSubmission.SubmissionStatus;

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there a new way to set the selected value in a ComboBox on the back-end with 2.0?
    Figured this one out with help from this thread:
    http://forums.ext.net/archive/index.php?t-18164.html

Now rather than setting a value this way:
    this.ddlSubmissionStatus.SelectedItem.Value = viewSubmission.SubmissionStatus;

You have to set it this way:
    this.ddlSubmissionStatus.SelectedItems.Clear();
    this.ddlSubmissionStatus.SelectedItems.Add(new Ext.Net.ListItem(viewSubmission.SubmissionStatus)) ;
    this.ddlSubmissionStatus.UpdateSelectedItems();

The Clear gets rid of any previous selections and the UpdateSelectedItems makes your new selection go through.