[CLOSED] accessibility for Ext.Net

[CLOSED] accessibility for Ext.Net

Hi:

We're building a web app using Ext.NET and have been tasked with adding accessibility support to it. In particular, the web app must be accessible to keyboard only users and blind people using screen readers, e.g., JAWS. Is there any way to make Ext.NET accessible or are we best off creating a separate set of accessible views?

Thank you
    Last edited by Daniil; Jul 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hi,

Please clarify did you review this post?
    http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php...ll=1#post86183
    Hi,

Yes thanks I did have a read through that post, but it wasn't clear to me exactly what the upcoming support will be. For example, is that github library the suggested way to add keyboard support? Also, it sounded to me like there is no planned support for screen readers, is that correct?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mendick View Post
    is that github library the suggested way to add keyboard support?
    Well, one of possible solutions. You can use that solution if it meets your needs or implement some own solution.

Also, it sounded to me like there is no planned support for screen readers, is that correct?
    Please provide more details. What does the "support for screen readers" should contain?
    Screen readers are used by the blind and visually impaired to enable them to access web sites. Example screen readers are JAWS and NVDA. One of the most important parts of making a web site accessible to screen readers is to produce semantic HTML, i.e., the use of HTML markup to reinforce the meaning of the information in webpages rather than merely to define its presentation.

The HTML produced by Ext.NET is not semantic. For example, tables are not marked up correctly; tables are used for presentation; select elements are not used; headings are not used; labels are rarely used. This makes it very hard for blind users to navigate around.

Another example problem is that the ComboBox is not usable by a screen reader. It does not render as a select element and screen readers are not aware of the selectable options.

I just wondered if there are alternative components or settings that would produce 'better' HTML?

Thanks.
    Screen readers are used by the blind and visually impaired to enable them to access web sites. Example screen readers are JAWS and NVDA. One of the most important parts of making a web site accessible to screen readers is to produce semantic HTML, i.e., the use of HTML markup to reinforce the meaning of the information in webpages rather than merely to define its presentation.

The HTML produced by Ext.NET is not semantic. For example, tables are not marked up correctly; tables are used for presentation; select elements are not used; headings are not used; labels are rarely used. This makes it very hard for blind users to navigate around.

Another example problem is that the ComboBox is not usable by a screen reader. It does not render as a select element and screen readers are not aware of the selectable options.

I just wondered if there are alternative components or settings that would produce 'better' HTML?

Thanks.
    At the moment, support for pure semantic HTML markup and screen readers is going to be limited. There is work being done to improve the situation in future releases.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder