Why upgrade to 2.0? Is it worth the upgrade or should I just stick with 1.x?

Why upgrade to 2.0? Is it worth the upgrade or should I just stick with 1.x?

Hey Ext.net-team =)

We have had a web site running for over a year now with the help o ext.net (version 1.x). Even though its a bit of a learning curve to understand or figure out how to use attributes/controls the framework is of great use =) I had previously also a premium account (which by now must have expired) and since we have some new projects coming up I am thinking about version 2.0...

I have read the changelog as well as some threads on whats new in version 2.0 but I have a hard time figuring out if there are any advantages of upgrading to 2.0?

Are there any obvious perks? Is it easier to develop and create sites with 2.0 (has the API become a bit clearer?)? Any input on this would be appreciated =)

Thx!
    Hi,

First of all I would look what is new in ExtJS 4 which Ext.NET v2 is basing on:
    http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs...w-in-ext-js-4/

All of these things are generally related to Ext.NET v2.

I would also highlight Loader:
    https://examples2.ext.net/#/Loaders/...Direct_Method/
    https://examples2.ext.net/#/Loaders/.../Http_Handler/
    https://examples2.ext.net/#/Loaders/...ON_WebService/
    https://examples2.ext.net/#/Loaders/Data/Overview/

And the following Ext.NET (not related to ExtJS) things:

• ASP.NET MVC3 support.

• ASP.NET MVC Razor engine support.

• MessageBus:

• ComponentColumn

• UserControlLoader

• Infinite GridPanel scrolling

There are also many minor changes/improvements/enhancements which can make developer's life much easier.

There is a disadvantage though - the performance issues (especially in IE). There might be cases of some performance degradation comparing with Ext.NET v1. Especially, if it deals with a lot of data in grids or trees. It is actual for Ext.NET 2.1 (ExtJS 4.1). We hope to improve it in Ext.NET 2.2 (ExtJS 4.2).
    Last edited by Daniil; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:14 AM.
    Hi Daniil,

Could you please outline current major issues with Ext JS 4.2 compared to 3.4 that, by extension, are influencing Ext.Net v2.2? If there's a recent thread or discussion somewhere, please provide the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by vadym.f View Post
    Could you please outline current major issues with Ext JS 4.2 compared to 3.4 that, by extension, are influencing Ext.Net v2.2?
    Which major issue(s) in Ext JS 4.2 are you referring to?
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    Which major issue(s) in Ext JS 4.2 are you referring to?
    Something that would make a serious negative effect throughout SDLC and in production. For instance, Daniil mentioned a performance drag observed in grids loaded with a high volume data. In other words, we'd like to know about issues of this magnitude that you may be aware of first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by vadym.f View Post
    Something that would make a serious negative effect throughout SDLC and in production. For instance, Daniil mentioned a performance drag observed in grids loaded with a high volume data. In other words, we'd like to know about issues of this magnitude that you may be aware of first hand.
    Well, @daniil mentioned the following above:

the performance issues in IE. Especially, if it deals with a lot of data in grids or trees. It is actual for Ext.NET 2.1 (ExtJS 4.1). We hope to improve it in Ext.NET 2.2 (ExtJS 4.2).
    The situation with both IE performance and some related memory issues have been improved, and continue to be improved as Ext JS and Ext.NET are updated.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Thanks Geoffrey!

How do you envisage the future of Ext.Net v1.x and what are your plans with regards to maintaining its support? Any recommendations?
    Hello,

Ext.NET v1.x will be supported for the foreseeable future.

There is one pending public release (v1.7) which will include IE10 support and fixes some other defects. At the moment, there is no firm release date for v1.7, although we hope to release soon.

No new features or functionality will be added to the v1.x branch. Only critical bug fixes.

Hope this helps answer your question(s).
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder